1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Software in Physics Computers

1. Jul 20, 2014 #1
    Hello,

Once again I am here to consult with you. I am a new assistant professor at a community college and have gotten the privilege of updating the physics lab. Just yesterday, I competed a list of laboratory items that totaled up to 40 K! Hope the school will pass the funding :)

We are also going to purchase laptops and I want to decide the specs for the computer . This means I need to know what software might be installed in the future. Currently I am only using MS office products and LogoPro from Vernier. But this could change. What do you think about the following programs? If you are in education or industry, please give me your feedback. Are you using these? Would they be beneficial to my students, especially the Engineering students?

Labview
    Matlab
    Mathematica
    Any other suggestions?

Thank you for help!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 20, 2014 #2
    i am a student and some of my math Proffesor offer extra credit by giving us mathematica assignments. Other professors at different schools are also implementing this. Newer math grads who had extensive use of mathematica is their graduates program are finding that the tool is extremely useful.

Matlab is also a strong choice for its use in the engineering field along with CAD.

I would also add Python and C++ on the list.

4. Jul 20, 2014 #3
    A lot of my engineer colleagues, as well as several of our industry partners, use a matlab plugin called "simulink".

5. Jul 20, 2014 #4
    Although the tools are great to have. They are useless if the instructor s are not giving coursework to use such tools.

A be try to bring it up in the next meeting of how f teachers implemented some of these tools into their curriculum it can help student success at four year institutions.

6. Jul 21, 2014 #5
    Thanks Tito Smooth and Tio for your input! Matlab seems to be a good one to have. I agree that there is no point in having any of these if they are not used for course work. I want to give my students some exposure to our students so that when they go out to 4 year colleges, they will be more confortable with dealing with such tools.

7. Jul 21, 2014 #6

donpacino

Gold Member

I think matlab, mathmatica, and a C/C++ compiler are almost essential.

After that I would discuss with the faculty what programs will be used (as others have previously stated).

8. Aug 7, 2014 #7
    A complete LaTex installation would be nice as well.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook