Find Software to Automate Recognition of 2D Graphs

In summary, the software mentioned in the article can be used to convert scanned graphs into data points that can be used in a regression curve fit.
cxaxnxexs
Does anyone know if there is a software program that I can find/buy somewhere that can
recognize an image of a curve and generate a 2D Cartesian equation for it?

In my line of work I am constantly referencing these regular 2d graphs (power vs resistance graphs for thermoelectric modules) Cartesian coordinate system (x,y) graphs. They are always given to me by busy manufacturers so I can rarely get access to the original data that resulted in the graph produced. I have to spend a lot of time tediously estimating each point by hand to then enter each point into Excel to generate a polynomial regression curve fit. Granted, I probably could have spent the time doing this while typing all of this, BUT it is getting old :cry:

Physics news on Phys.org

I've never needed to do this before. So, I can't be much help. However, have you tried any of the programs mentioned in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Converting_scanned_graphs_to_data

Last edited by a moderator:

That is exactly what I was looking for! I downloaded the software called GetData Graph Digitizer & it works perfectly. It recognizes images of graphs and generates (x,y) data points for them. Just plug that data into Excel & do a regression curve fit & bingo! This will save me hours of work. Thanks for the help!

ohhh, sorry to drag up this older thread, but this was EXACTLY the question I had, and this was one of the first hits on google. I haven't tried GetData's project yet (give me an hour!) but it appears to be the perfect way to take the information LED manufacturers actually give me and put it in equation form.

I've been using photoshop overlays because I don't actually need the curve, just a bunch of data points, but this will be a MUCH better use of my time. Thanks so much!

PS - I'm teaching myself how to design and build LED panels. I have virtually no background in the field since high school physics - I'm sure I'll be back =) Seems like you have an awesome resource here!

Yes, there are software programs available that can automate the recognition of 2D graphs and generate a Cartesian equation for them. One example is the Graph Digitizer software, which allows you to import an image of a graph and extract the data points to generate a curve fit equation. Other programs such as GraphClick and Engauge Digitizer also offer similar capabilities. These programs can save you time and effort in manually estimating and inputting data points, and can provide more accurate results. You can easily find and purchase these programs online. I would recommend trying out a few different options to find the one that best suits your needs.

1. How does the software recognize 2D graphs?

The software uses algorithms and pattern recognition techniques to identify common features of 2D graphs, such as axes, data points, and labels. It may also have a pre-trained database of common graph types to compare against.

2. Can the software handle different types of graphs?

Yes, the software can be trained to recognize various types of 2D graphs, including line graphs, bar graphs, scatter plots, and more. It may also have the ability to learn and adapt to new types of graphs.

3. How accurate is the software in recognizing graphs?

The accuracy of the software depends on various factors such as the quality of the input image, the complexity of the graph, and the training and algorithms used. Generally, it can achieve high accuracy with properly formatted and clear graphs.

4. Can the software handle graphs with multiple data sets?

Yes, the software can handle graphs with multiple data sets. It can differentiate between different data sets and label them accordingly. However, the accuracy may vary depending on the complexity of the graph.

5. Is the software user-friendly?

The ease of use of the software depends on the specific program and its interface. Some software may have a user-friendly interface with a drag-and-drop feature, while others may require more technical knowledge to operate. It is best to research and try out different options to find the most user-friendly software for your needs.