Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Software that recognize an image of a curve and generate a Cartesian equation for it?

1. Dec 10, 2011 #1
    Does anyone know if there is a software program that I can find/buy somewhere that can
    recognize an image of a curve and generate a 2D Cartesian equation for it?

In my line of work I am constantly referencing these regular 2d graphs (power vs resistance graphs for thermoelectric modules) Cartesian coordinate system (x,y) graphs. They are always given to me by busy manufacturers so I can rarely get access to the original data that resulted in the graph produced. I have to spend a lot of time tediously estimating each point by hand to then enter each point into Excel to generate a polynomial regression curve fit. Granted, I probably could have spent the time doing this while typing all of this, BUT it is getting old :cry:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 11, 2011 #2
    Re: Software that recognize an image of a curve and generate a Cartesian equation for

I've never needed to do this before. So, I can't be much help. However, have you tried any of the programs mentioned in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Converting_scanned_graphs_to_data [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  4. Dec 12, 2011 #3
    Re: Software that recognize an image of a curve and generate a Cartesian equation for

That is exactly what I was looking for! I downloaded the software called GetData Graph Digitizer & it works perfectly. It recognizes images of graphs and generates (x,y) data points for them. Just plug that data into Excel & do a regression curve fit & bingo! This will save me hours of work. Thanks for the help!

5. Apr 29, 2012 #4

ohhh, sorry to drag up this older thread, but this was EXACTLY the question I had, and this was one of the first hits on google. I haven't tried GetData's project yet (give me an hour!) but it appears to be the perfect way to take the information LED manufacturers actually give me and put it in equation form.

I've been using photoshop overlays because I don't actually need the curve, just a bunch of data points, but this will be a MUCH better use of my time. Thanks so much!

PS - I'm teaching myself how to design and build LED panels. I have virtually no background in the field since high school physics - I'm sure I'll be back =) Seems like you have an awesome resource here!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook