Softwares to learn

1. softwares to learn!!

hi,
    I am doing my electrical and electronics engineering. I wanted to learn softwares in my free time. Can anyone suggest which software would be useful foe me. My friends suggested MAT LAB or a course in embedded systems. Please suggest any software which will help me wit my subject.

2. jcsd
  3. Re: softwares to learn!!

MATLAB is very good and probably slightly more useful for your purposes than Mathematica, though both could be useful.

Also, learning to program in C is never a bad idea.

4. Re: softwares to learn!!

Thanks djeikyb.
    I learnt a bit about both MATLAB and MATHEMATICA, like you suggested MATLAB is very helpful for me. I am planning to join a course for the same shortly.
    And regarding programming in C, I learnt C and C++ last year (not a pro though :tongue:)

5. Re: softwares to learn!!

You can use Octave as a free alternative to MATLAB. You might also want to look at Eagle for circuit design, which is also free, and if your university has it, Labview. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eagle_(program)

I don't see mathematica being particularly useful.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2010
  6. Borek

Staff: Mentor

Re: softwares to learn!!

Hijack:

Am I the only one here irritated by the use word "softwares" instead of "programs"?

Is "softwares" a correct word?

7. Re: softwares to learn!!

You are correct, Borek. Softwares is not a word - 'software' or 'programs' would do me..

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?