1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Softwares to learn

1. Jun 19, 2010 #1
    softwares to learn!!

I am doing my electrical and electronics engineering. I wanted to learn softwares in my free time. Can anyone suggest which software would be useful foe me. My friends suggested MAT LAB or a course in embedded systems. Please suggest any software which will help me wit my subject.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 21, 2010 #2
    Re: softwares to learn!!

MATLAB is very good and probably slightly more useful for your purposes than Mathematica, though both could be useful.

Also, learning to program in C is never a bad idea.
  4. Jun 22, 2010 #3

Thanks djeikyb.
    I learnt a bit about both MATLAB and MATHEMATICA, like you suggested MATLAB is very helpful for me. I am planning to join a course for the same shortly.
    And regarding programming in C, I learnt C and C++ last year (not a pro though :tongue:)
  5. Jun 23, 2010 #4

You can use Octave as a free alternative to MATLAB. You might also want to look at Eagle for circuit design, which is also free, and if your university has it, Labview. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eagle_(program)

I don't see mathematica being particularly useful.
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2010
  6. Jun 23, 2010 #5

Staff: Mentor

Am I the only one here irritated by the use word "softwares" instead of "programs"?

Is "softwares" a correct word?
  7. Jun 23, 2010 #6

You are correct, Borek. Softwares is not a word - 'software' or 'programs' would do me..
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?