1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Soh Cah Toa?

1. Oct 15, 2003 #1
    I understand that Sin is Opposite over the Hypotenuse, Cosine is Adjacent over Hypotenue, and Tangent is Opposite over the Adjacent. But I don't know how to use it. Sin has its own equation, as does Tangent...I am just confused. What do I do to find a specific angle? What about a certain side?

Thanks!

P.S I have done Soh Cah Toa during previous school years, but I never understood!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2003 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Then all I can recommend is that you draw a right triangle, label the sides and angles, stare at it for a while and THINK!

It might help if you specified on your triangle, which angle you are talking about "sin is opposite over hypotenuse" is non-sense until you specify the angle! Never say "sin". It is always sin OF A PARTICULAR ANGLE.

4. Oct 15, 2003 #3
    Ok....here could be an example:

One angle of a right triangle is 20 degress. The length of the hypotenuse is 6 cm. How would I get the other two sides?

For the opposite side, would it be something like Sin20 is x/6?

It just doesn't make sense...What about the whole Sin is the square root of a plus b times a and b or something like that?

Thanks!

5. Oct 16, 2003 #4

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

So you have

x= 6* Sin20 for the opposite side,

the adjacent side would be

y = 6* Cos20

I am not sure what your last comment is about, are you refering to the Pythagorean Theorm.

a2+ b2= c2?

6. Oct 16, 2003 #5
    Thanks for the reply.

No, it wasn't the pathagorem theorum. I don't know what it was.

Thanks again!

7. Oct 16, 2003 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

"What about the whole Sin is the square root of a plus b times a and b or something like that? "

Now THAT'S the part that doesn't make sense! I recommend you erase that from your mind immediately!

8. Oct 16, 2003 #7
    Ok, I will. If I do find out what I was thinking of, I'll post it!

9. Dec 9, 2006 #8
    pay attention in class

your thinkin of 30 60 90 triangles. thats where the side across from the right angle ( hypotenuse) equals 2x. the side across from the 30 degree angle equals x and the side across from the 60 degree angle is x times the squareroot of 3

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?