Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

SOI process

1. Jun 24, 2004 #1
    Does anyone have any information about SOI. I've heard lots about it yet all i know of it, other than its benefits, is that instead of a metal on the oxide it uses a silicone. What is this silicone's structure, etc. Just some basic information about it would be great.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 24, 2004 #2

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I assume you mean silicon oxide insulation?

- Warren

4. Jun 24, 2004 #3
    I believe it stands for silicon on insulator. Perhaps that's just the marketing name for it.

Just as an aside, how would tunneling affect the insulation properties as we get smaller. What type of scale would this effect start kicking in at?

5. Oct 15, 2009 #4
    SOI means silicon-on-insulator,it's a sandwich structure with three layers,i.e. bottom-up:handle layer/buried oxide layer(SiO2)/device layer

For more details about SOI ,please visit http://www.yole.fr/pagesAn/products/soi.asp

If you want to know about SOI wafer clearly , please search photos with key words 'SOI mems' at google.com.

6. Oct 29, 2009 #5
    SOI mean silicon on oxide. That is three later on top of each other. (Si)-(SiO2)-(Si)
    We use silicon to build transistor, micromachines, etc.
    So here, why not using a bare silicon, and use a SOI? What's the difference?
    The difference is you can control the fabrication process by utilizing the insulator (oxide) layer.
    And it is I think 3 times more expensive than the Si wafer.
    Hope that helped,.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?