1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Soize uncertainty/randomness problem

1. Apr 11, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Following a maximization of the entropy, Soize obtained that random mass, stiffness, and damping matrices would involve a positive definite random matrix G, expressed in Cholesky form

G = LLT

where L is a lower triangular matrix. All elements of L are independent of each other, which allows the determination of the moments of G.

It is desired to compute the mean and second moment of G-1 for a 2X2 matrix G in terms of appropriate moments of the random elements of L. Note: off-diagonal elements of L are zero mean random variables (Gaussian) and the diagonal elements of L are positive only.

2. Relevant equations

In general for 1D:

E[X] = μx
    E[X2] = σ2 + μx2
    E[(X-μx)2] = σx2

3. The attempt at a solution
    Compute G-1:

G = LLT

G-1 = (LT)-1(L)-1

G-1 = (L-1)T(L-1)

My assumption is that I'm trying to find the moments, mean and second, for L11, L21 and L22, the elements of the lower triangle of G-1 which is a 2X2 matrix.

I have no definition for L at this time. I'm still looking in research papers. How should I approach the problem? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2012
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?