Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sol Gel Process

1. Oct 11, 2015 #1
    The temperature at which the process is carried out is around 120 degree centigrade, however in the interior , the reaction temperature goes to around 1000 degree centigrade. How is it then , that the glass beaker in which the synthesis is carried out does not crack even at such high temperatures. The temperature does not manifest itself on to the beaker.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2015 #2

ogg

I don't have a clear idea of what "temperature doesn't manifest itself on to the beaker" means. If the beaker isn't exposed to 1000°, it doesn't seem like you actually have a question. If it does, your question is apparently (I'm guessing): Why in air at 120° doesn't a beaker at 1000° crack? The answer MIGHT be that the temperature rise of the beaker was slow and uniform enough to not cause excessive stress. The answer MIGHT be that beakers (kimax, pyrex, borosilicate, possibly even quartz) are designed to tolerate wide temperature ranges. Or perhaps the answer is that the beaker never comes into contact with 1000° material (or that the energy transfer of any such contact is very small). I will say that a reaction started at 120° and which runs up (exothermally) to 1000° is either out of control or must be controlled to be quite gradual - so gradual as to cast doubt on the attainment of 1000° (since there are heat losses involved).

4. Oct 12, 2015 #3
    Thanks for the reply. But I am not sure if these explanations could possibly be the truth. Just waiting for others to reply. Will keep you posted as well. Thanks once again for the reply.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook