Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solar activity at 8000 year high

1. Nov 3, 2004 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 5, 2004 #2
    I have also read recently, that the sun was entering a very low period of activity.

4. Nov 6, 2004 #3

Gold Member

T.Roc- note that it is a 60 year average. More recent trends over the past few years could show a reduction, in activity, but still produce a high average.
    (I'm speculating, so don't take what i say to be accurate. simply a suggestion)
  5. Nov 8, 2004 #4
    maybe we are not on the same page...

Ivan Seeking, what affects are you talking about? sun spots, flares, EM bursts...

6. Nov 10, 2004 #5
    never mind, I found the original article.

and a source for my statement:
    "This kind of solar activity is getting increasingly rare as we enter into the quiet period of the Sun's eleven-year cycle of activity. The years 2000-2001 marked the highest point of activity, but that doesn't preclude the occasional surprise like this week's CMEs. Even more significant were the intense solar storms that raged about a year ago.

Source: NASA (by Steele Hill & Rachel A. Weintraub NASA Goddard Space Flight Center) "

So, maybe it's fair to say we Should be in the quiet period, but something has changed this pattern temporarily.

With so much more carbons in the air, is it true to conclude more mass, and a "drawing" of the Sun's magnetic energy towards us? Field changes, etc.

7. Nov 10, 2004 #6
    the total mass of earth and its atmosphere has not changed and that is what determines the earth's gravitational force. the overall mass of the atmosphere has only changed very very slightly, if at all, due to CO2 emissions.
    in addition, the EM forces of the earth's magentic field have a far greater effect on the trajectory of ions and radiation from the sun than gravity would (i'm talking on the scale of many powers (10^4 at least).
  8. Nov 12, 2004 #7
    pebrew ,

I wasn't inferring to a gravitational effect. Just (theoretically) at something like the northern lights. We see them when solar activity is high AND atmospheric particles are highly distributed in the area.

So,... with the total increase of electrons from heavier (mass) elements/molecules in the atmosphere, with their spins aligning with the Earth's, the magnetic field changes. The resonant state of the field would absorb the same frequencies from the Sun as the Earth does, rather than setting up conditions to reflect the frequencies (from CME, etc.).

food for thought - spit, chew, or swallow?

9. Nov 12, 2004 #8
    A little apples and oranges equation right here?

It would be interesting to see if the field strenght of the Earth magnetic field is related to climate and weather, assuming that the bending of ionized particles would have influence on precipretation patterns and hence weather.

This study thinks not, based on a spectral (fourrrier) analysis of assumed long frequency global temperatures and the variations of magnetic field strenght.

However, here we have a brand new study, indicating a positive feedback on solar radiation flux and temperatures. One could presume that the variation of charged cosmogenic particles may have something to do with that positive feedback.
  10. Nov 12, 2004 #9

interesting links.

11. Nov 12, 2004 #10
    Sounds like a fantastic reason for purchasing those new solar panels I've been eyeballing...
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?