Optimizing Solar Panel Efficiency: Calculating Sunlight for Maximum Power"

In summary: Finally, use a power meter to measure the energy being generated by the solar cells. Compare this to the wattage needed to run the system. This will give you a ballpark estimate of your system’s efficiency.In summary, the sun's energy can be captured more efficiently by arranging your solar cells in a way that maximizes the angle of the incoming light. This is done by facing the cells south and tilting them to account for latitude. The cells should also have a radius that is proportional to height to maximize light capture. Finally, a power meter can be used to measure the energy being generated by the cells and determine the system's efficiency.
gabismm15
How can I calculate the total diffused and incident light of the sun?Edit
I am doing this project with solar panels. I thought, watching as well several youtube videos, that I could improve the panels with mirrors, and looking at some plants, I realized that some of their leaves bended towards the wall and the floor. The wall was white and that made me realize that they were receiving the light that bounced off the wall. I did some plant measurements and found out that the radius from the center of the plant to the tip of the leaves decreased with height, and that the angles of the leaves increased with height, so I came out with an arrangement sort of this way :

(what I was saying about the radius and the angle depending on height, I'm seeing height as increased if it goes down.)

(attached files)

The ones that are at the bottom, although they don't have the incident angle of the sun, they have partial reflected rays from the mirror and I thought they would be good as well because they could receive the scattered light for the clouds, so my model would work good in partially cloud days. However, I know that my plant measurements are not going to reveal me the most efficient way for me to settle these solar cells, and there comes the tricky part. I know that the way the rays enter depends on several factors, latitude ( my model would work best in higher latitudes since the reflected rays would have more angle), the tilt of the Earth's axis, although I am only focusing for now with the latitude. They say that you should face your panels south ( if you are in northern hemisphere that is), and tilt them depending on the latitude. I need to know how to arrange my panels, so that they have just the right angle and just the right radius, for them to receive the maximum amount of power.

In order to do such calculations, I know that the pink ray has higher energy because it travels less distance, and so the power would depend on how far the rays are. I know that the angle the ray has would be given by the latitude. I would need to calculate the area that the sun rays hit the earth, with that and the power given by the reflected rays, looking at their behavior, I guess I could then maximize the power received in the arrangement of the solar panels by putting them at certain angles, and at certain distances, but I'm not sure how to get there.

The other thing, which I see even trickier, is to calculate how would the panels absorb the scattered rays of the clouds, as this is a process more random that depends on the clouds, which are different every day, but well, one issue at a time I guess.

Thank you for your help

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 419
  • photo (18).jpg
    photo (18).jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 432
Engineering news on Phys.org
The plant leaf has better ability to use sunlight than standard solar cells, so diffuse light which is ineffective for solar cells is still quite valuable for plants.
Your desire to make your solar panels more efficient is good, so it is well worth while to set the cells on the right tilt to maximize their sunlight capture. Because sunlight is a pretty diffuse resource, mirrors and similar structures are marginal economically, they cost a lot to add for the added watts they contribute. Tracking and focusing mechanisms are even more iffy economically. In short, simple is best, just maximize the cell area getting direct sunlight between 9am and 3pm for the most return on your investment.

I'd argue in favor of inputting a very very lightweight servo with light-level detection so that the time of day could orient the solar cell toward the sunlight's through this device. it might not account for seasonal differences but this could be very useful, especially if utilized for a focusing mechanism in the event one is utilized.
I wonder if polarity could be advantageous also?

1. I would start this project by selecting the most efficient solar cells possible. In the early days a typical solar cell operated at only 3 or 5 percent efficiency. Today’s modern cells now provide around 30% conversion efficiency.

2. Then mount your fixed panels at the best angle for your latitude. This gives approximately “one sun” input energy.
http://homeguides.sfgate.com/figure-correct-angle-solar-panels-79489.html
http://www.solarpoweristhefuture.com/how-to-figure-correct-angle-for-solar-panels.shtml
http://www.mysolarpannels.com/optimum-angle-for-solar-panels/

3. Then consider concentrating the sunlight for more than “one sun”. The panels remain fixed, but solar energy input is increased. Remember, when the sun’s energy is concentrated onto the solar cells they become hot. This heat degrades their performance and excess heat needs to be removed. Also, the cells may be damaged by too much heat. Several methods are available:
http://www.ioserver.com/fresnelx/
http://www.acrylite-polymers.com/pr...out/news/Pages/news-details.aspx?newsid=23897
http://www.solargenix.com/hot_water_products.cfm [Broken]

4. Tracking systems are complicated and expensive, but gather the most energy. The entire panels are driven during the daylight hours so as to point directly at the sun. You may use Google to search for these systems.

Cheers, Bobbywhy

Edit: Welcome to Physics Forums!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks you all! I did some measurements with the mirrors, and no, they don't add efficiency. So far, I've seen tracking devices are the best, but a way for them to not using energy is necessary so that they can be implemented. What do you mean by polarity ? (1ledzepplin1) I've seen some that work using just some water bottles like the sun saluter from a Princeton girl, you should check that one, once again thanks !

For the motor I was thinking that the additional input would balance out to equal a net gain of energy. It could be calculated If you simply measured the energy yielded in direct perfect sunlight versus the efficiency losses over the day. Then compare the difference between a normal run, with the cell in a single place and orientation, versus a a calculation of max voltage for however many additional hours the motor would yield minus the energy costs of the motor. The setup for this would be very easy too. You could use something like a daylight sensor for a simple electronic device like an outdoor lawn light that comes on at night and then tweak it to provide more sensitive adjustments or better yet just use a lawn sprinkler timer to operate the motor in increments where it could adjust something like every hour to give a generalized tracking of the sun. Could pay off if you did It right I think :)

But as far as polarization, I'm really no expert on light or solar cell design but I can't help but wonder if there would be some technical advantage that could be employed with the polarity of the incident light. I have an idea, though it's simply conjecture really, that light polarity would influence its infrared presence. I have a polarized lens and I always notice a color difference looking through them. Otherwise another efficiency gain could be to utilize color to mitigate or distribute heat. Idk just possiby relevant conceptsfor ya!

They are good ideas, using polarization seems a promising idea for further research, thank you :)

1. What are solar cells and how do they work?

Solar cells, also known as photovoltaic cells, are electronic devices that convert sunlight into electricity. They are made of semiconductor materials, such as silicon, which absorb photons (particles of light) and release electrons. These electrons are then captured and channeled into an electrical current, which can be used to power devices or stored in a battery for later use.

2. What is the purpose of a solar cell project?

The purpose of a solar cell project is to harness the energy of the sun and convert it into usable electricity. This can help reduce our reliance on fossil fuels and decrease our carbon footprint, making it a more sustainable and environmentally friendly energy source.

3. How efficient are solar cells?

The efficiency of solar cells varies depending on the type and quality of the materials used, as well as the amount of sunlight they receive. On average, most solar cells have an efficiency of around 15-20%, meaning they can convert 15-20% of the sunlight that hits them into electricity.

4. What are the different types of solar cells?

There are several different types of solar cells, including monocrystalline, polycrystalline, and thin-film cells. Monocrystalline cells are made from a single crystal of silicon and are the most efficient, but also the most expensive. Polycrystalline cells are made from multiple silicon crystals and are slightly less efficient but more affordable. Thin-film cells are made from layers of different materials and are the least efficient but also the most cost-effective.

5. What are the potential drawbacks of using solar cells?

One potential drawback of using solar cells is their reliance on sunlight. This means that they may not be as effective in areas with less sunlight or during cloudy days. Additionally, the manufacturing process of solar cells can be energy-intensive and may produce waste. However, advancements in technology and manufacturing processes are continuously improving the efficiency and sustainability of solar cells.