Calculating Output of Solar Cells in KWH

In summary, Dave purchased two small solar cells panels that produce a current of 5.263 milli amperes each. He wants to know how to calculate the values of the solar cells output in kilowatts, using two bulbs connected in series. Alternatively, he would like to know any other method of calculating values.
assuc
hi,
I am working on a small solar cell project for which i bought two small solar cells panels of 6volt each producing current of 5.263milli ampere in combination.
I want to know that how can i calculate the values of solar cells output in kwh, on the output i have placed two bulbs of 3 volts in series and connected solar cells in parallel so as to increase the current.
Or any other method of calculating values and please recommend a graphical value too.
All answers will be highly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm relatively new to physics, (17 going to college physics next year), but I believe you have everything you need to understand the output in Kilowatts per hour.

Kilowatts= (Amperes * Volts)/1000

Kw= (.005263 * 18)/1000

Kw= .000094734

^here above i converted the milli amperes into regular amperes then combined the voltages of both the 6 volt solar panels and the two 3 volt bulb. Then to top it off, I divided by 1000 for converting watts into kilowatts. Then for kilowatts to kilowatts per hour, multiply by 1 hr and you still get the same number as an output, or .000094734KwH.

That's for the combined system I assumed you wanted, otherwise you wouldn't have needed the bulbs.

Again, I'm VERY new to just physics in general, but I try to help since there are no replies yet :/ And I just did basic equations...

physicsofme said:
I'm relatively new to physics, (17 going to college physics next year), but I believe you have everything you need to understand the output in Kilowatts per hour.

Kilowatts= (Amperes * Volts)/1000

Kw= (.005263 * 18)/1000

Kw= .000094734

^here above i converted the milli amperes into regular amperes then combined the voltages of both the 6 volt solar panels and the two 3 volt bulb. Then to top it off, I divided by 1000 for converting watts into kilowatts. Then for kilowatts to kilowatts per hour, multiply by 1 hr and you still get the same number as an output, or .000094734KwH.

That's for the combined system I assumed you wanted, otherwise you wouldn't have needed the bulbs.

Again, I'm VERY new to just physics in general, but I try to help since there are no replies yet :/ And I just did basic equations...

I really appreciate your answer...!
But the confusion is that you have combined the output voltage of each bulb while taking out the kilowatts... as i am only concerned about the power solar cells are producing not the bulbs, as to best of my knowledge we will multiply the voltage value of solar cells and that will be 6Volts (as both solar panels are in parallel so the voltage remains same in parallel combination).
Do correct me if i am wrong.!
thanks again

just a couple of comments :)

@ physicsofme...
always use the standard SI units when doing formula, do any conversions at the end
so always use W = V * A etc, else you may get into strife with more complex calculations :)

Also, your globe voltages should NOT have been included, that's giving false info.
As assuc said its the power generated by the panels that is being calculated. The globes are not supplying voltage to the system, in your calc they incorrectly are.

@assuc...
The 6V and 5.263 mA is probably the open circuit (no load) ratings. Under load, the output voltage is going to drop a volt or so. check the paper work for the panel and see if it comments on no load and loaded ratings :)

cheers
Dave

Last edited:

I would first like to commend you on your project and your efforts to understand the output of your solar cells. Calculating the output of solar cells in kilowatt-hours (kWh) is an important step in understanding the efficiency and effectiveness of your solar panel system.

To calculate the output of your solar cells in kWh, you will need to know the power rating of your solar cells, which is typically measured in watts (W). In your case, you have two small solar cell panels with a power rating of 6 volts each. To determine the total power output of your panels, you will need to multiply the voltage by the current, which is given as 5.263 milliampere. This will give you a total power output of approximately 0.03158 watts (6 volts x 0.005263 ampere = 0.03158 watts).

Next, you will need to calculate the total energy output of your solar cells over a certain period of time. This can be done by multiplying the power output by the time in hours. For example, if your solar cells produce 0.03158 watts of power for 10 hours, the total energy output would be 0.3158 watt-hours (0.03158 watts x 10 hours = 0.3158 watt-hours).

To convert this value to kilowatt-hours, simply divide the watt-hours by 1000. In this case, the total energy output of your solar cells would be 0.0003158 kilowatt-hours (0.3158 watt-hours / 1000 = 0.0003158 kilowatt-hours).

As for a graphical representation, I would recommend plotting the power output of your solar cells over time. This will give you a visual representation of how much energy your solar cells are producing and can help you track any changes or improvements in their performance.

I hope this helps answer your question and I wish you success with your project. Keep up the great work!

1. How is the output of a solar cell measured in kWh?

The output of a solar cell is measured in kilowatt-hours (kWh), which is a unit of energy. It represents the amount of energy produced by the solar cell over a period of time. This measurement takes into account the power rating of the solar cell and the amount of time it is exposed to sunlight.

2. What factors affect the output of a solar cell in kWh?

The output of a solar cell in kWh can be affected by a number of factors, including the size and efficiency of the solar cell, the angle and orientation of the solar panel, the amount of sunlight available, and any shading or obstructions that may block the sunlight.

3. How do you calculate the output of a solar cell in kWh?

To calculate the output of a solar cell in kWh, you need to multiply the power rating of the solar cell (in watts) by the number of hours it is exposed to sunlight. For example, a 100-watt solar cell exposed to sunlight for 5 hours would produce 500 watt-hours, or 0.5 kWh, of energy.

4. Can the output of a solar cell in kWh vary?

Yes, the output of a solar cell in kWh can vary depending on the factors mentioned above. It can also vary depending on the time of year, as the amount and angle of sunlight will change with the seasons.

5. How accurate are calculations for the output of a solar cell in kWh?

Calculations for the output of a solar cell in kWh can be fairly accurate, as long as the factors mentioned above are taken into consideration. However, there may be some slight variations due to changes in weather and other environmental conditions.