What is the efficiency of a solar collector made of an aluminium canister?

In summary: What is your total power input?The light bulb is plugged into an outlet and the aluminium canister is plugged into the light bulb.
johnboy11
Hi there,

As part of my A2 physics coursework investigation, i want to calculate the efficiency of an aluminium canister modeled as a solar collector.

The basic set up of the apparatus is:

- Lamp (40W light bulb) at a fixed distance of 5cm away from the aluminium canister (which is painted black, and the half of the canister not being penetrated by light is covered with insulating material - carpetty)

What measurements need to be taken? Can you provide me with a step-by-step guide of how to calculate the efficiency with equations.

Thanks a lot!

Physics news on Phys.org
You want a step by step guide of how to do your coursework with equations?

How about reading your recommended text and talking to your teacher?

No its not actually my coursework investigation, and isn't really required, but i want to do this anyway...

Its not in the textbooks, nor the A2 syllabus, but it shows that i have researched, which i have...

No-one's going to give you a step by step guide of how to do an experiment. Ask a specific question about something you're unable to grasp.

Efficiency = useful power output / total power input

What is your useful output? Heat?

Last edited:
A common calculation related to the intensity of a light source is to figure that a detector gathers some of the source's energy on a particular surface area, and that area is a known fraction of the area of an imaginary sphere surrounding the source and capturing all of its energy. A common astronomy exercise is: a detector orbiting the Earth measures electromagnetic radiation from the sun to be 1370 watts per square meter, now, using a reference table to obtain the distance from the Earth to the sun, imagining the sun to be enclosed by a sphere whose radius is the sun-earth distance, we can determine that the sun puts a total of 3.8 X 10^26 watts.

1. What is a solar collector?

A solar collector is a device that captures and converts solar energy into usable heat or electricity. It is typically made up of a flat or curved surface, a heat transfer medium, and insulation materials.

2. How does a solar collector work?

A solar collector works by absorbing sunlight and converting it into thermal or electrical energy. The collector's surface is designed to maximize absorption of solar radiation and transfer it to a fluid or material within the collector. This heat is then used for various purposes such as heating water or powering turbines for electricity generation.

3. What factors affect the efficiency of a solar collector?

The efficiency of a solar collector is affected by various factors such as the type of collector, the material used, the angle of inclination, and weather conditions. Other factors include the reflectivity of the surface, heat loss due to insulation, and the efficiency of the heat transfer medium.

4. How is the efficiency of a solar collector measured?

The efficiency of a solar collector is typically measured by its thermal efficiency, which is the ratio of the heat energy collected to the solar radiation incident on the collector. It can also be measured by its electrical efficiency, which is the ratio of the electrical energy produced to the solar radiation incident on the collector.

5. How can the efficiency of a solar collector be improved?

The efficiency of a solar collector can be improved by using high-quality materials with good heat absorption and transfer properties, optimizing the design for maximum solar exposure, and implementing efficient insulation methods. Regular maintenance and cleaning of the collector can also help improve efficiency. Additionally, incorporating tracking systems to follow the sun's movement and using reflectors to redirect sunlight towards the collector can also increase efficiency.