Solar Con? Eclipse road trip to Makanda Illinois

• Stargazing
  • Thread starter Blank_Stare
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Eclipse Solar
In summary, the person is heading to Makanda Illinois for the Eclipse on August 21st. They will be staying there for a week and will be using a couple of telescopes, as well as solar filter material taped to a pair of binoculars. They are from Milwaukee and will be driving to Kansas City, Missouri, then on to Denver, Las Vegas, and points west.
Weather isn't looking like it will be outstanding...

From Accuweather.com for 8/21/2017:
  • 90°HI
  • RealFeel® 105°
  • Precipitation 51%
  • Sunshine and patchy clouds with a thunderstorm in the area, mainly later; humid

I'm not exactly sure what "patchy" means, but I'm hope it means "a little", as opposed to "a lot".

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I hope this positive trend continues...

• 92°HI
  • RealFeel® 103°
  • Precipitation 25%
  • Partly sunny and humid
Then again, while the percentage chance of rain seems to have decreased, I think "Partly Cloudy" means more clouds than "Patchy", so that's not a good thing...

Maybe the forecast tomorrow will say 70, and clear? LOL!

Is the weather in Makanda/Carbondale as unpredictable, and fast to change, as it is near the Great Lakes? :oldsurprised:

Hot, humid, almost no chance of rain, but the cloud cover may disappoint us...

Carbondale 9 AM 10 AM 11 AM 12 PM 1 PM 2 PM 3 PM
Cloud Cover 11.00% 26.00% 35.00% 40.00% 42.00% 41.00% 38.00%

Still 40 hours to the start of the eclipse, and weather forecasts are like picked wildflowers - yesterday's was good while it lasted, but worthless today.

Had hotel troubles - dog has to stay with a neighbor, but that's OK, more room in the rental car now.
We're pulling out in 21 hours. You have my number, if we need to rethink location.

Likes hsdrop
Blank_Stare said:
Hot, humid, almost no chance of rain, but the cloud cover may disappoint us...

Carbondale 9 AM 10 AM 11 AM 12 PM 1 PM 2 PM 3 PM
Cloud Cover 11.00% 26.00% 35.00% 40.00% 42.00% 41.00% 38.00%

Still 40 hours to the start of the eclipse, and weather forecasts are like picked wildflowers - yesterday's was good while it lasted, but worthless today.

Had hotel troubles - dog has to stay with a neighbor, but that's OK, more room in the rental car now.
We're pulling out in 21 hours. You have my number, if we need to rethink location.
nope I'll text you when i get close to the lake I'm going to be hitting the road tomorrow night late and drive thru the night with a buddy of mine and my kiddo let me know if you need any thing

Perfect viewing conditions, despite the hot weather.

Definitely glad we made the trip.

Thanks for helping us select a spot, @hsdrop , no one could have done better.

Likes hsdrop