1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solar Constant Doubt

1. Sep 12, 2012 #1
    Hi,

So, I understand the concept that the power radiated by the sun spreads out as a sphere with a radius equal to 1 AU. Therefore, in order to find the intensity, we have to divide the power radiated by the surface area of the sphere. I thought the result of this calculation would yield the intensity per meter squared, that is, in an area of 1 m by 1 m on the surface of the Earth.

However, I was reading some websites and I got really confused. They claim 1380 Wm-2 is the solar constant provided we treat the Earth as a sphere but 340 Wm-2 if we consider only a "disc" is receiving the energy at any given point.

So, is 1380 Wm-2 received at every point on Earth or the Earth itself receives 1380 Wm-2?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2012 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The energy spreads our spherically - but the radius depends on where you do the measurement.
    That is to say, the intensity at the Earth's orbit.
    Yes it will ... and the solar flux will be radial through each square meter.
    These sites are taking into account the fact that not everywhere on the Earth is directly facing the Sun. (Not all the same distance from the Sun either.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook