1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solar Corona Luminosity

1. Mar 29, 2008 #1
    I've been trying to find out what's the curve for the solar corona luminosity vs distance like.
    I know that the corona can be practically observed up to 4 solar radii. I also found out that the curve is more or less exponential but I need the actuall equation of the curve.

Can anyone help me??????

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 29, 2008 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

4. Apr 1, 2008 #3
    Judging by that figure I assume that the difference in temperature (from the lowest to the highest value) for the corona is about 1 500 000 K (more or less), which means that the lowest value must be multiplied by 10 to reach the highest.
    So, based on the equation that relates temperature and luminosity [L=4π(R^2)σ(T^4)] I guess the difference in luminosity (from the lowest to the highest value) can be found if we multiply the lowest values by 10^4.

Am I right?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?