Solve Solar Drag Race Model Equation

In summary: The fact that it's a consideration in a low speed car is interesting, but not game changing.In summary, the conversation discusses the building of a solar powered drag race model, including the equations for velocity and distance as a function of time. It also addresses the impact of air drag and rolling resistance on the race and the use of a spreadsheet for calculations. The conversation also mentions the importance of aerodynamics in traditional drag racing and how it can affect performance. Overall, the conversation highlights the various factors that must be considered in building a successful solar powered dragster.
Jolly Green Tractor
I am working on a model of a solar powered drag race.

The race: 250 meters, no incline, initial velocity = 0.

Classical physics gives us the following equations (ignores aero and rolling drag and wheel rotation):

Velocity as a function of time V = (2Pt/M)^.5
P = power, M = mass

Distance as a function of time d = (2/3)((2P/M)^.5)t^(1.5)

Time to travel x distance t = ((1.5d)^(2/3))(M/2P)^1/3

But of course we do lose power to aerodynamic drag forces

Pa = .5rCdAV^3 (r = air density, Cd = aero drag coef., A = frontal area)

and rolling drag at the wheels

Pr = CrMV (Cr = rolling drag coef.)

and wheel rotation

Pw = FwV^3 (Fw = wheel rotational factor)

So if our inertial power equals our power in, Pi (from the solar panel) minus our power lost to friction (aero, rolling, wheel rotation), then our velocity equation becomes:

V = (2((Pi-(.5rCdAV^3)-(CrMV)-(FwV^3))t)/M)^.5

I need help solving this equation. I have approximated the solution by chopping the race up into small pieces and solving iteratively, but I would rather do it right.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
There is nothing wrong with solving your problem nummerically!

The primary reason why I was looking for a more elegant solution is that the iterative solution I have created falls apart after only a couple hundred iterations. I have spent several hours looking for the cause of the crash without success.

I am surprised that I cannot find the equations I am looking for online. Does anyone have a suggestion as to where to find a comprehensive ground vehicle acceleration model?

Soalr Dragster Spreadsheet Calculations

I put together a spreadsheet that includes the effects of acceleration, air drag and rolling resistance. It can be found at:
http://users.applecapital.net/~jim/Dragster_Physics.xls"

There is no guarantee that it is 100% correct. Let me know if you find any mistakes in it because we are building our solar dragster based on these calculations.
When I first ran this, I was surprised to find that air drag was the predominant factor, even though the solar powered dragsters were only reaching a top speed of 30 mph or so. I wonder how many top fuel dragster realize this? They may be able to set new world records if they improve the aerodynamics of their dragsters. The air drag at 200 mph may be considerable, even if you've got 2000 HP to work with.
http://users.applecapital.net/~jim/solardragrace.htm"
Jim White

Last edited by a moderator:
air drag has been greatly reduced over the years
the first ''rail'' cars had all most no bodys or fairing
but also added to
by the large wings used to gain traction

current fuel cars have 6000 hp and go about 330mph
and both are limited by current rules on engine size and gearing

many factors are traded off to get to the current balance
weight traction and drag from wings are some of the major factors
too little wing will limit traction and lose races

Air Drag Exceeds Acceleration Thrust Above 140 mph

Even with 6000 HP, air drag is an important factor if a dragster wants to reduce their time or increase their top speed in the 1/4 mile.

cozyqt said:
...I was surprised to find that air drag was the predominant factor, even though the solar powered dragsters were only reaching a top speed of 30 mph or so. I wonder how many top fuel dragster realize this? They may be able to set new world records if they improve the aerodynamics of their dragsters. The air drag at 200 mph may be considerable, even if you've got 2000 HP to work with.

cozyqt said:
Even with 6000 HP, air drag is an important factor if a dragster wants to reduce their time or increase their top speed in the 1/4 mile.

Believe me, top fuel drag teams are quite aware of aerodynamic drag; but, they are also aware of many other competing problems, including the fact that it takes a LOT of traction (and therefore a lot of downforce) to put 6000hp to the ground.

Your discovery of air drag problems in drag racing is not particurally ground breaking IMO.

1. How does the solar drag race model equation work?

The solar drag race model equation is a mathematical formula that calculates the drag force on a solar-powered vehicle based on its shape, size, and speed. It takes into account factors such as air density, vehicle mass, and drag coefficient to determine the force that opposes the vehicle's motion.

2. What is the purpose of the solar drag race model equation?

The purpose of the solar drag race model equation is to help scientists and engineers design more efficient solar-powered vehicles. By understanding the drag force and how it affects a vehicle's performance, researchers can make improvements and optimizations to increase the vehicle's speed and efficiency.

3. How accurate is the solar drag race model equation?

The accuracy of the solar drag race model equation depends on the accuracy of the input data and assumptions made about the vehicle and its environment. With precise measurements and realistic assumptions, the equation can provide a relatively accurate estimate of the drag force on a solar-powered vehicle.

4. Can the solar drag race model equation be used for all types of solar-powered vehicles?

While the solar drag race model equation can be used for most solar-powered vehicles, it may not be suitable for extreme cases such as high-speed vehicles or those with unique shapes. In these cases, specialized equations or simulations may need to be used.

5. Are there any limitations to the solar drag race model equation?

The solar drag race model equation is based on certain assumptions and simplifications, which may not accurately represent real-world conditions. It also does not take into account external factors such as wind or terrain, which can affect a vehicle's performance. Therefore, it is important to use the equation as a guide and make adjustments as necessary for more accurate results.