1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solar Dryer Drying Time Estimation

1. Oct 10, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The problem is fairly simple (hah): estimate the time it will take for a solar dryer (which I have to design) to dry 50 pounds of fruit from 80% water to 10% water.

2. Relevant equations

It seems there are at least a few equations that give an approximation for evaporation rates. THe first one that comes up is the penman equation:

[tex]\frac{mR_{n}+{\rho}_{a}c_{p}({\delta}e)g_{a}}{{\lambda}_{v}(m+\gamma)}[/tex]

Where, unfortunately, m, [tex]g_a[/tex], [tex]c_p[/tex], [tex]\rho[/tex], and [tex]{\delta}e[/tex] depend on temperature, wind speed, and relative humidity (Credit: wikipedia for all of the above)

3. The attempt at a solution

I could go on with all the other equations impacting those variables, but since I don't have a lot of data to work with (really we were just given solar radiation data for surrounding areas) I figure I must be able to make some approximations to boil this down to something more manageable.

Any idea where to start here?

I can probably fairly easily find an estimate for average temperature during the times/location that we're desiging this to be used. I can probably also estimate energy coming into the dryer and the energy leaving through the walls. But I don't know how that will affect the humidity, air flow, and temperature inside the dryer.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?