Solar Eclipse 2017 - Share Your Viewing Plans & Memories

In summary, a solar eclipse will be occurring on the 21st of August and will cut across the continental United States. People who live in the path of totality will see the most obscure view of the eclipse. There will be scattered reports of people who were not able to witness the eclipse due to bad weather conditions.
MarkFL
Gold Member
MHB
Hello MHB Community! :D

As I'm sure most of you who live in the U.S. are aware, we will be witness to a solar eclipse on the 21st of August and the path of totality will cut across the continental U.S.:

whole-us.jpg

I live in NE Florida, and will experience almost 90% obscurity, but I have family in TN that are within a 30 minute drive of totality, and family in KY that live within the path of totality. I'm still trying to decide if I want to travel to visit them for this event. This is a pretty rare event, and I've got nerdy goosebumps about it. (Sun)

I was just curious if anyone here lives in the path of totality, and if not, if you have any plans to travel.

Use the link below to enter your zip code to simulate what you will see from your location:

A solar eclipse is coming to America. Here’s what you’ll see where you live.

If you do plan to observe the eclipse, be sure you have special approved glasses:

Eyeglass Safety

My earliest memory of a solar eclipse was on March 7, 1970...and ironically the path of totality was very close to where I live now, while the path of totality for the eclipse next month is very close to where I lived then. :(

Anyway, my father constructed a pinhole projector and invited all the neighborhood children to come check it out. He was the dad in the neighborhood that all the kids liked. :D

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm very excited for this as well! I currently live in Atlanta, GA which is very close to that path although not directly on it. I've read that cabins and homes for rent along the line are going for thousands of dollars on August 21st unfortunately. :( So it's great that you have family you could stay with!

I had plans of traveling to Nashville, but my bride had surgery recently and is unable to travel until September. There is another total solar eclipse in 2024 that will pass over the Dallas/Ft Worth area ... I'll just have to wait.

My family in KY., in the area where my mother grew up, will have 1 min. 33 sec. of totality. The point of greatest eclipse is in KY. :D

Jameson said:
I'm very excited for this as well! I currently live in Atlanta, GA which is very close to that path although not directly on it. I've read that cabins and homes for rent along the line are going for thousands of dollars on August 21st unfortunately. :( So it's great that you have family you could stay with!

You should experience approximately 97% obscurity, and Adrian should see about 93% obscurity.

skeeter said:
I had plans of traveling to Nashville, but my bride had surgery recently and is unable to travel until September. There is another total solar eclipse in 2024 that will pass over the Dallas/Ft Worth area ... I'll just have to wait.

You should see about 76% obscurity. :)

I was just reading about how tree leaves can form "pinhole cameras" and the eclipse can be seen in their shadows:

eclipseTreeWide.jpg

Where are the pictures and the videos for us poor people that were nowhere near the total solar eclipse?

I like Serena said:
Where are the pictures and the videos for us poor people that were nowhere near the total solar eclipse?

Yesterday during the big event, we had pervasive heavy cloud cover and intermittent rain. Today, sunny and clear all day. Story of my life...(Giggle)

It was a very fun event to witness. I took the afternoon off from work. While we did get, as Mark mentioned, about 92% coverage, it was quite enough to notice a difference in lighting (though still reasonably bright) and in temperature. Got to hear mourning doves make their sounds in the middle of the day, which is not all that usual.

MarkFL said:
Yesterday during the big event, we had pervasive heavy cloud cover and intermittent rain. Today, sunny and clear all day. Story of my life...(Giggle)

I went to see the total solar eclipse in Paris in 1999, which was on the brink of the millennium.
Some people predicted that the world would end.
Fortunately there was a cloud in front of the sun - only during the totality.
So the sun didn't become (visibly) black like a sackcloth of goat hair.
A world disaster was averted. (Whew)
And I didn't get to see the once-in-a-lifetime diamond ring nor the corona of the sun. (Swearing)

1. What is a solar eclipse?

A solar eclipse occurs when the Moon passes between the Sun and the Earth, blocking the sunlight and casting a shadow on parts of the Earth.

2. When will the solar eclipse occur in 2017?

The solar eclipse will occur on August 21, 2017.

3. Where will the solar eclipse be visible?

The solar eclipse will be visible in parts of North America, including the United States, Canada, and Mexico.

4. What is the best way to view the solar eclipse?

The best way to view the solar eclipse is to use special eclipse glasses or handheld solar viewers. These are designed to protect your eyes from the sun's harmful rays. You can also use a pinhole projector to view the eclipse indirectly.

5. What should I do if I cannot view the solar eclipse in person?

If you are unable to view the solar eclipse in person, there are many live streams and broadcasts available online. You can also follow along on social media or through news outlets. Just remember to never look directly at the sun without proper eye protection.