1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solar energy calculation - help needed

1. Nov 5, 2007 #1
    Hi, I am new to this forum and wondering if anybody would be kind enough to help me.

A solar panel of area 2 m2 absorbs solar energy at the rate of
    950 W/m2. Assuming that all the energy is used to heat water
    in a 110 litre tank how long would it take for the water
    temperature to increase from 15C to 65C?

This is the only question I am really stuck on in my Revision Paper as I havent covered this area before.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 5, 2007 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Welcome to PF! The forum rules require you to show what you've tried so far before anyone can help you.

Have you come across the heat energy equation before?
  4. Nov 5, 2007 #3
    The difficulty I am encountering is that nothing of this sort is in the text books recommended to me and I cant seem to find anything on the internet either.

I really do not know where to start with this, can you shed some light or give me a relevant link that will assist me?

Thankyou very much for your help.
  5. Nov 5, 2007 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well I gave you a small hint above mentioning the heat energy equation. If you searched for it you would probably come across it. Here it is anyway in case you get confused with other heat equations.

[tex] Q = mc_p \Delta T [/tex]

where Q is the heat energy, m is the mass of the substance, cp is the specific heat capacity of the substance and [itex]\Delta T[/itex] is the change in temperature.

The following is a list of the specific heat capacities of different substances.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?