Solar energy flux, Earth's population

In summary, the conversation discusses the estimation of solar energy flux at Earth's position and its relation to the maximum possible population of the Earth. The question also touches on estimating the energy a human needs to stay alive and the conversion efficiency of energy incident on Earth. Suggestions and hints are given to approach the question, and a ballpark figure of 10,000 kJ/day is considered reasonable for the average human's energy metabolism.
phy
Solar energy flux, Earth's population...

Hi everyone :smile:

I have this one question from my optics course that has me totally stumped. It reads "Solar energy flux at Earth's position is about 1.7kW/m^2. Estimate the maximum possible population of the Earth."

I've looked through my textbook and asked a few people in my class but nobody has been able to come up with anything. Apart from one equation that I found (J=0.25n<c> where J is molecular flux, n is the particle number density and c is the mean molecular speed), I couldn't even start the question. If somebody could maybe just throw out some hints or equations, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Can somebody please help me? I don't want anybody to do it for me. Just give me a hint on which direction I should be going in. Lol please? Thanks =)

Estimate how much energy, per second, a human needs to stay alive, that is, how much energy a human metabolises in one second.

For extra complexity, you can estimate an energy conversion efficiency, i.e. the percentage of energy incident on the Earth that is converted into energy useful to humans.

Hope that gets you going.

Claude.

Uhhhh that actually makes sense but how much energy does the average human metabolize per second?

Does 2500 Calories sound resonable?

Last edited by a moderator:
10,000 kJ/day is probably reasonable to a first approximation. In a question like this, you are not looking for precision, just a ball park figure.

Claude.

Okie dokie I think I know how to do the question. Thanks a lot for your help :smile:

1. What is solar energy flux?

Solar energy flux refers to the amount of solar radiation that reaches a specific area on Earth's surface. It is measured in watts per square meter and is a key factor in understanding the potential for solar energy production.

2. How does solar energy flux impact Earth's climate?

Solar energy flux plays a significant role in Earth's climate as it is the primary source of energy for our planet. The amount of solar radiation that reaches Earth's surface can influence temperature, atmospheric circulation, and weather patterns.

3. How does solar energy flux affect the Earth's ecosystems?

Solar energy flux is essential for the functioning of Earth's ecosystems as it provides the energy needed for photosynthesis to occur. This process is crucial for plants to produce food and oxygen, which sustains all living organisms on Earth.

4. How does Earth's population impact solar energy flux?

The Earth's population has a direct impact on solar energy flux as the demand for energy increases with a growing population. This can lead to an increased use of solar energy technologies, which can help reduce dependence on non-renewable energy sources.

5. What are the potential benefits of harnessing solar energy flux?

The benefits of harnessing solar energy flux include reducing greenhouse gas emissions, promoting energy independence, and creating new job opportunities in the renewable energy sector. It also has the potential to provide clean and sustainable energy for future generations.