Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solar energy question

1. Aug 22, 2005 #1
    In this question,
    "Solar energy reached the earth at the rate of about 1.4 kW per square meter of surface perpendictular to the direction of the sun. By how much odes the mass of the sun decrease per second owing to this energy law?"

What is your first reaction to this question? How would you make the first move?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 22, 2005 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

First find the surface area of a sphere with the radius of the earth's orbit. Multiply by that 1.4kW flux and you'll get the total power output of the sun. Then, apply E=mc^2...

4. Aug 24, 2005 #3

Nereid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That it's a homework question, and has been posted in the wrong part of PF?

5. Aug 26, 2005 #4
    it's not homework~
    i'm trying to self-study modern physics...

6. Aug 26, 2005 #5
    @@a
    how did you think of why to "analyze it" that way?

7. Aug 26, 2005 #6

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

The question posed - a power flux - 1.4 kW per square meter of surface.

So to get the total power (in kW), one simply multiplies the flux (energy/unit area) by the total area, as Russ indicated. This application assumes that the flux is constant in all directions.

Conversely, to get the flux at some distance, simply divide the total power (again assuming the energy is isotropically distributed) by the area of a sphere at that distance (radius of the sphere).

Remember power = energy per unit time.

8. Aug 26, 2005 #7
    thank you very much!!! :)
    i think physics is interesting, but i often have trouble making the first step...
    thanks so much for explaining!!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?