Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solar engine

1. Feb 12, 2008 #1
    Hi people i have made a solar engine. It cheap , simple to make ,everyone can make one and it generates motion out of sunlight. I don't have electricity yet but that is also possible to make
    Look at video google search for the device
    or link to
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6257236920067550362

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 12, 2008 #2
    bigger flat plate collector

ps. the flat plate collector can be made bigger, maybe much bigger

4. Feb 12, 2008 #3

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Nice. Haven't you just built that from a kit?

5. Feb 12, 2008 #4
    yes and no

The stirling engine i bought , the collector i made from materials from he praxis
    Chiel Abrahamms

6. Feb 12, 2008 #5

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

chiel,

Stop with the "comment please" bump posts. They're useless. We already know you want comments -- that's why you posted this thread.

- Warren

7. Feb 12, 2008 #6
    sorry

8. Feb 12, 2008 #7
    Ok witth a stirling generator this generate cuurent right, usefull current ? Can it be stored in an accu ?

9. Feb 12, 2008 #8
    and the waste heat can be stored in water or rocks for low temperature floor heating at night

10. Feb 12, 2008 #9

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Sure. Solar collectors for heating applications are very common. For running a thermo cycle they are less common, but that method of solar power is probably the most promising for cost/efficiency reasons.

11. Feb 12, 2008 #10

OmCheeto

Gold Member

You should hook up an electrical generator and determine the power output of the engine.
    Sterlings seem to be an interesting idea as far as engines designed to extract waste heat. I was considering using them to extract the energy from my attic in the summer, but I've had a dreadful time finding out their actual thermal to mechanical energy efficiency. I'm hesitant to invest the time in a 128 cylinder beer can version until I know it's going to put out more than a nanowatt:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHdgkILt02Q&feature=related

I suspect you might get more power out of a peltier device.
    http://www.hizook.com/blog/2007/03/12/thermo-electric-generator-for-energy-scavenging
    But my jury is still out on this.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2008
  12. Feb 13, 2008 #11
    i think with a 5 dollar heat chip from power chips place or eneco this solar engine can be very very cheap . This chip is stiill in development though

13. Feb 13, 2008 #12
    ok maybe you people can help me on this and give soem advice. Can i generate a current out of out by magnetic induction( maye this is the wrong name ). I am planning to use 2 magnetic strips cut out from a floppy disk and put it on the wheel, then place a metal wire horizontal in front of the wheel and connect a multi meter to it to measure it. A very simple experiment. Is it theoretically possible a current will flow through the wire ?
    Regards Chiel

14. Feb 13, 2008 #13
    maybe the bubble pack plastic can be made of waste plastic

15. Feb 13, 2008 #14

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

I'm not sure what you think a floppy disk is, but it is essentially just a plastic sheet. You won't measure any voltage (between what, I'm not sure, but still...).

Last edited: Feb 13, 2008
  16. Feb 13, 2008 #15

OmCheeto

Gold Member

The magnets in floppy disks are microscopic and you'd probably not get any current output unless you used microscopic wires. I would chop up refrigerator magnets instead.

17. Feb 13, 2008 #16

NoTime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The flexible fridge magnets that you can cut have distributed magnetic poles.
    Try sticking two together, they won't repel each other.
    While the magnetic domains are larger in the flexible fridge magnet than in a floppy disk neither will generate a voltage in a straight piece of wire, because the effect of one domain will cancel another.

Probably the best thing is to see if your device will turn a small dc motor (doubt it).
    If not, then some small disk magnets stuck to the rim passing close to a coil of wire (not just a straight wire) should give a measurable reading on something like a galvanometer.

18. Feb 14, 2008 #17
    Maybe this thing can produce hydrogen by electrolysis. Is that possible with little power. If so then with the hydrogen you can power power a fuel cell. Lots of waste heat though.
    Chiel

19. Feb 14, 2008 #18
    On a galvanameter.. Will it not give reading on a multimeter. I only have one of those
    Chiel

20. Feb 14, 2008 #19
    by the way, is this a better way to generate motion out of sunlight than parabolic concentrators ?

21. Feb 14, 2008 #20

NoTime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

1) It takes a lot of power to make a meaningful amount of hydrogen from electrolysis.
    2) Perhaps. Might depend on your digital multimeter. The coil setup would be ac while the small motor would be dc.
    3) Parabolic concentrators are one way. Solar cells come to mind. Better or worse depends on what you hope to accomplish.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?