Calculating Equilibrium Temperature for a Solar Hot Water System

In summary, the conversation discusses the feasibility of installing a solar hot water system on a roof, using information from a reference book on solar energy. The ground-level solar intensity in the city is determined to be 850 W/m2 for at least 5 hours a day throughout most of the year. The problem then asks for the equilibrium temperature of a completely black collector plate facing the sun, assuming it only loses energy through radiation and the air temperature is 20 degrees Celsius. The formula Q/delta t = e sigma AT^4 is mentioned, with sigma being 5.67*10^-8. The questioner initially struggles with finding the area of the collector plate, but is guided to realize that it is not necessary for the solution
rinchan4

Homework Statement

You would like to put a solar hot wate system on your roof, but you'r not sure it's feasible. A reference book on solar energy shows that the ground-level solar intensity in your city is 850 W/m2 for at least 5 hours a day throughout most of the year. Assuming that a completely black collector plate loses enerty only by radiation, and that the air temp is 20 degrees celcius, what is the equilibrium temp of a collector plate directly facing the sun?

Homework Equations

Q/delta t= e sigma AT4
sigma= 5.67*10^-8

The Attempt at a Solution

So I tried to change the W/m2 into just W by multiplying by the area but i couldn't figure out the area. I think this is my biggest problem. I think once i find out how to find out the area i can plug it into the equation above and solve for T. Would this be the correct path?

Physics news on Phys.org
No, you do not need the area. Do you know the meaning of the formula you cited?

ehildS

isn't it the equation for radiation?

ok so i figured it out thank you for your help. :) That pointed me in the right direction.

Yes, it is, if you write T^4 instead of T4, but what do the letters Q, e, A, T mean?

The collector plate is totally black. What does it mean for "e"?

Now, how much energy does 1 m2 area of the collector plate gain in one second from the sun, and how much energy comes from the 20Co ambient?

This absorbed energy has to be equal to the energy emitted by 1 m2 collector plate in one second.

ehild

awesome thank you!

What is a solar hot water system?

A solar hot water system is a renewable energy technology that uses the sun's energy to heat water for domestic or commercial use. It typically consists of solar panels, a storage tank, and a pump or circulation system.

How does a solar hot water system work?

The solar panels, also known as collectors, absorb the sun's energy and transfer it to a fluid, typically water or a mixture of water and antifreeze, which circulates through the system. The heated fluid then passes through a heat exchanger in the storage tank, transferring the heat to the water inside. The heated water is then ready for use.

What are the benefits of a solar hot water system?

There are several benefits to using a solar hot water system. It is a renewable energy source, which means it is environmentally friendly and reduces reliance on fossil fuels. It can also save money on energy bills in the long run, as the sun's energy is free. Additionally, many countries offer incentives and tax credits for installing solar hot water systems.

Do solar hot water systems work in all climates?

While solar hot water systems are most efficient in sunny and warm climates, they can still work in colder and less sunny regions. However, they may require larger panels and more insulation to compensate for the lower sunlight levels.

How much does a solar hot water system cost?

The cost of a solar hot water system can vary depending on factors such as the size and type of system, installation costs, and location. On average, a residential system can cost anywhere from $5,000 to $10,000, but the long-term savings on energy bills can make it a worthwhile investment.