SOHO Observed Solar Inflow Events: What's the Explanation?

In summary, there have been observations of gas and plasma flowing into the Sun, against the direction of the solar wind. This was first discovered in 1997 by the Large-Angle Spectrometric Coronagraph (LASCO) onboard the SOHO satellite. Scientists believe that studying this inflowing material can help us understand what comes out of the Sun. It was previously thought that the Sun only emitted solar wind, but not take it in as well. This discovery has led to a better understanding of how the Sun regulates magnetic fields and how they affect space weather near Earth. The inflows are believed to be caused by magnetic field lines dragging gas back into the Sun.
AdamNailor
Hi people.

Is there an explanation for the observations of streams of gas/plasma flowing into the sun? SOHO has observed a number of these inflowing events, traveling against the predominant direction of the solar wind, I think a good few thousand have been logged since they were originally seen a few years ago, and I'm curious as to what the possible explanations for this are. I thought that the sun gave out a solar wind, but did not take one in as well.

Naval Research: The Sun - Inflows

Astronomers spend a lot of time studying what flows away from the Sun, such as supercharged particles, hot gases, light, heat, and other types of energy. They want to know what is coming toward the Earth so that we can learn how to protect our astronauts, satellites, and communications. Now scientists believe that by studying material that flows into the Sun, they can better understand what comes out of the Sun.

The inflowing material was not discovered until 1997, when researchers studying images from the Large-Angle Spectrometric Coronagraph (LASCO) onboard the SOHO satellite noticed gas moving toward the Sun at speeds of 31 to 62 miles per second (50 to 100 km/s). The gas was somehow moving against the powerful solar wind, which, at this distance from the Sun carries material outward at 75 miles per second (120 km/s). [...]

"I was stunned when I saw the first movies showing these inflows," says Bernhard Fleck, ESA’s project scientist for the space mission. "Before this discovery by SOHO no one had any idea that gas could travel the wrong way, and be pushed back towards the Sun. Now we must learn from the inflows how the Sun regulates the magnetic fields carried by the solar wind, which are a key driver for the space weather we experience in the Earth’s vicinity."

Damn! I can't provide links. I need 15 posts or more. Thats highly annoying, anyway... just google "Naval Research: The Sun - Inflows" and it should pop up, along with other pages.

Can we deduce that the suns charge is pulling them in? Or is it more complex than that? I'm no expert on this sort of thing, hopefully someone here can give an explanation... seems like quite an enigmatic observation...

Astronomy news on Phys.org
There have always been transonic inflows suspected and used to describe accretion in binary stars. It was a surprise for a single star but is generally attributed to magnetic field lines dragging gas back into the star.

1. What are solar inflow events?

Solar inflow events are episodes of accelerated solar wind that are observed near the Sun's surface. They are characterized by high-speed streams of plasma and magnetic fields that flow outward from the Sun's atmosphere, also known as the corona.

2. How are these events observed by SOHO?

SOHO (Solar and Heliospheric Observatory) is a spacecraft that has been studying the Sun since 1995. It uses a variety of instruments, including the Solar Wind Anisotropies (SWAN) instrument, to observe solar inflow events. SWAN measures the velocity and direction of particles in the solar wind, providing valuable data on these events.

3. What causes solar inflow events?

The exact cause of solar inflow events is still being studied, but they are believed to be a result of the Sun's magnetic field interacting with the coronal plasma. It is thought that the rotation of the Sun creates twisted magnetic fields that can release energy and trigger these events.

4. How often do solar inflow events occur?

Solar inflow events occur frequently, with several events happening each month. However, the strength and duration of these events can vary, with some being more intense and lasting longer than others.

5. Are solar inflow events dangerous to Earth?

Solar inflow events can have some effects on Earth, such as causing auroras and disrupting communication and navigation systems. However, the Earth's magnetic field and atmosphere protect us from the majority of the solar wind. Scientists continue to monitor these events to better understand their potential impacts.