1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solar Neutrino Flux

Tags:
  1. Aug 13, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hello Guys :)
    I have been studying neutrinos this term in physics and have been trying to calculate the neutrino flux on earth. I have found an equation but I am just unsure about what the variables in the equation stand for.

2. Relevant equations

F = N/(A t) = E/(A t) × N/E

3. The attempt at a solution

I know that F is the neutrino flux, but I am just unsure of what the other ones stand for. Is this the right formula or is there a formula that is better or easier to understand?

Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 13, 2014 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well, this is a general formula for any flux essentially. N is the number of of neutrinos produced, A is the area they are (evenly) spread over, and t is the time they were produced in. In the second step, the total energy R has been introduced. The first factor is then the energy flux, E/t is the power of the Sun into neutrinos and the second factor is the reciprocal of E/N, the energy per neutrino.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted