Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solar Parabolic Trough

1. Apr 21, 2008 #1
    Hi to everyone

I wonder if someone knows how can i compute the total reflected solar radiation from a parabolic trough aperture area to the focal point, if we know the geometry of the parabolic trough the reflector coefficiency of the mirror and the amount of solar irradiation that is incident on the concentrator in a direction parallel to the central plane of the parabola. I would appreciate very much if someone could help me because i need this information in order to complete an essay that i'm working on.

Relevant books, software or web sites are welcome.

Thanx everyone in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 21, 2008 #2
    Look up 'insolation'. It's the amount of solar radiation per unit area per unit time. It's a function of latitude, time of day, etc...even altitude. Try average insolation as well.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2008
  4. Apr 22, 2008 #3
    Thanx Phrak
    I've already found a lot of things about the amount of incident solar radiation. What I am asking is a procedure to calculate the radiation transfer between a parabolic mirror and its focal point, if iknow the insolation and the reflection of the mirror.

Thank u

5. May 12, 2008 #4
    Anyone?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?