Solar photovoltaics: - What happens to the lost energy?

• Thread starter pranj5
  • Start date
jim hardy
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2019 Award
Dearly Missed
Kindly just read this article.
Currently the optical reflection from solar cell surface is accounted for a significant loss in the photoelectric energy conversion process and thus better solar wafers with nearly zero optical reflection across a broad range of incident light wavelengths and angles will help to considerably improve the performance of solar cell devices and potentially bring down the solar electricity cost. The silicon nanostructures created by this unique processing method on solar wafer surface developed in this project will have superior antireflection and light trapping property. In this project the solar industry compatible nanomanufacturing method for zero-reflection ?Omni Black? solar wafers will be developed and the underlying processing physical mechanism will be better understood and controlled.
What's the question that article answers?

jim hardy
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2019 Award
Dearly Missed
Ahh a startup got a SBIR grant..
article. https://www.nsf.gov/awardsearch/showAward?AWD_ID=1248974
Sponsor: Effimax Solar INC
60 Hazelwood Dr
Champaign, IL 61820-7460 (217)979-0200
https://gust.com/companies/effimax_solar
Company Summary

The Omni Black texturing technique invented by Effimax Solar increases the light absorption of c-Si solar cells through whole spectrum and all angles, therefore makes them 22% more efficient. Furthermore, it reduces 2% of the production cost of cells by reducing silicon materials consumption. Effimax Solar delivers this solution to solar cell manufacturers in a plug-and-play manner and charges royalties on each cell produced by our technique

"Currently the optical reflection from solar cell surface is accounted for a significant loss in the photoelectric energy conversion process".
Don't need any further clarification.

russ_watters
Mentor
"Currently the optical reflection from solar cell surface is accounted for a significant loss in the photoelectric energy conversion process".
Don't need any further clarification.
Ok, that's fine. Me personally I'd want to see actual numbers and proof they've demonstrated their technology before I believe they can do what they claim.

In any case, since you are satisfied with what you have learned, I guess that's a good place to close the thread.

Likes davenn, jim hardy and OmCheeto