1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solar Radiance - Reflection

1. Mar 10, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

An underwater observer is looking directly into the sun. His head is near, but below the surface, and he is not wearingsun glasses. Let Ls(x) be the solar radiance at the water surface, on the air side, when the sun is at a zenith angle x. What is the ratio of the solar radiance at the observer's eye to the solar radiance just above the water surface?

2. Relevant equations

Here's where I'm having trouble. I'm not sure which equation is relevant. Is this simply a Fresnel transmission problem? I have equations for vertical and horizontal polarization

Rh = [sin2(xa - xw)]/[sin2(xa + xw)]

But I also have a solid angle formula for radiance at the air water boundary. It is labeled "From Snell's law and flux conservation" [tex]\Omega[/tex]a = n2 [cos xw/ cos x a ] [tex]\Omega[/tex] w

Where the [tex]\Omega[/tex]s are solid angle. The subscript a one is subtended by Ls in the accompanying diagram. And the subscript w by Ld (downwelling) so I'm not sure if this ratio would be what I need.

Any thoughts?

Thanks for your help!!!!

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted