Solar Sail Acceleration: A vs B - Which is Faster? Find Out Now!

In summary, the higher-energy photons from a gamma ray source will produce more pressure and impulse than lower-energy photons, so a gamma ray-powered spacecraft will accelerate faster.
Rob060870
if you had two spacecraft which had a solar sail as its means of Propulsion A & B, and were both identical.

Spaceship A has light from the sun to push it along its way.

Spaceship B has only gamma rays to push it along.(both craft have the whole of their sail surface covered with their respective radiation)

now would spaceship A accelerate slower, faster or the same as spaceship B? and why?

i know that both forms of radiation of course travel at the speed of light but does the higher energies that gamma rays possesses hit the solar sail harder and make it accelerate quicker?

if any readers could enlighten me on this matter i would be most grateful.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The impulse provided per photon would be greater for the higher energy (and higher momentum) gamma rays, but the overall pressure also depends on the number of photons reflected per second. So the radiation source that provides the greater intensity (power per unit area) will produce the most pressure.

Doc Al said:
The impulse provided per photon would be greater for the higher energy (and higher momentum) gamma rays, but the overall pressure also depends on the number of photons reflected per second. So the radiation source that provides the greater intensity (power per unit area) will produce the most pressure.

thankyou,
so then. . photon for photon the radiation with the higher energy will exert more pressure than the photon with lower energy.

meaning spaceship B will accelerate quicker, but does that mean that when both spacecraft max out, it will attain a faster total speed?. i would think that it does?

Rob060870 said:
so then. . photon for photon the radiation with the higher energy will exert more pressure than the photon with lower energy.
Right.

meaning spaceship B will accelerate quicker,
Not necessarily. (That would be true if each radiation source produced the same number of photons per second.)
but does that mean that when both spacecraft max out, it will attain a faster total speed?. i would think that it does?
Why would you think that?

i think that because if you had the same number of photons hitting the solar sails on craft A and craft B then the photons with the higher energy, ie. . B would hit the sail harder and eventually because of that attain a higher speed in the end?

what would be the reason for the spacecraft maxing out and attaining their top speed be?

it can't be friction of course as we are in a vacuum!,so as they both accelerate the energy pushing both craft are converted into mass so the craft with more energy pushing it will attain a faster speed. I am proberly barking up the wrong tree here but I am having a go lol!

Last edited:
As the craft moves further away from the source of the photons, it will catch less and less light.
The amount of energy it can catch is finite.

Thats a very good point willem2!.

people are talking about using solar sails to travel to the outer reachies of our solar system, one problem with that one is-

How do you slow down when you arrive at your destination?
thanks

Last edited:

1. What is a solar sail?

A solar sail is a propulsion system that uses the pressure of sunlight to accelerate a spacecraft.

2. How does solar sail acceleration work?

Solar sail acceleration works by reflecting sunlight off of a large, thin sail made of a reflective material. The force of the reflected light particles, known as photons, pushes against the sail and propels the spacecraft forward.

3. What is the difference between A and B in solar sail acceleration?

A and B refer to different designs or configurations of solar sails. Each design may have unique properties that affect the speed at which the spacecraft can be accelerated.

4. Which solar sail design is faster?

The speed of solar sail acceleration depends on various factors such as the size and shape of the sail, the material it is made of, and the distance from the sun. It is difficult to determine which design is faster without specific details about each design.

5. How can I find out which solar sail design is faster?

To determine which solar sail design is faster, one can conduct experiments or simulations to compare the acceleration speeds of each design. This may involve analyzing the properties of the sails and using mathematical equations to calculate their potential speeds.