Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solar sail with Ion thruster

1. Jul 3, 2015 #1
    I've heard a lot of people talk about solar sails versus things like Ion thrusters, and it seems that both have their advantages and disadvantages. So I was wondering whether or not it's possible to use both on a single spacecraft? That way you could get the speed of an ion thruster along with that constant push of the solar sail... Is this possible?

I guess what I'm thinking is something like one of those sail boats on earth that also has a few engines on board. I know this is a completely different animal, but that's the same general idea, I think. I don't sail, so I'm not sure.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 4, 2015 #2
    Doesn't necessarily have to be Ion Thruster, I just want to know about using solar sails along with any other, more "traditional", propulsion method on a spacecraft.

4. Jul 5, 2015 #3

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Solar sails need extremely light spacecraft to be effective. I'm not sure if that scales well enough to combine it with other propulsion methods (=more mass) - the sail would have to be extremely large to give a notable effect.

5. Jul 11, 2015 #4

anorlunda

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I once saw an article that described a solar sail made of aluminum, only two atoms thick, but a diameter the size of The Moon. It would weigh only one gram. Carrying a four gram payload, and boosted to 0.3 c with lasers it could reach the nearest star in only a few years, then beam back a selfie.

The only obstacles are building and deploying a system like that. Lots of luck.

P.s. The autocorrect on my iPad tried to change "nearest star" to "nearest Starbucks,". If I posted that, you would have all had a chuckle at my expense.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook