Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solar Spectrum at night

1. May 21, 2012 #1
    Wikipedia showed me the solar spectrum during the day: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Solar_Spectrum.png

I imagine its very different at night, however is everything 0? Is there any residual black body infrared radiation?

2. jcsd
  3. May 21, 2012 #2

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Why would the solar spectrum change because you can't see the sun?

4. May 21, 2012 #3
    I'll rephrase my question for you:

If I am standing on the ground when the sun is highest in the sky (that's an idiom btw), I would expect to get a spectrum similar to the yellow plot on that graph. If I stand in the same place when the night is at its darkest, what would the spectrum look like in this range?

5. May 21, 2012 #4

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

How bright is the moon?

6. May 21, 2012 #5
    You are suggesting there is no infrared radiation at night below the 2500 nm band?

7. May 21, 2012 #6

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

the point is ... how do you expect to measure the spectrum of the sun when the sun isnt visible

Yes there is going to be some IR radiation around, ground radiation, manmade stuff, from the moon if visible and maybe a very small amount from the sky

Dave

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook