Maximizing Solar Still Output: Is There a Simple Equation?

In summary, the individual is looking for a simple way to model the output of a solar still with a specific tilt angle and location (Africa) in order to obtain a desired output value. They have researched this topic but have found the math to be too complex and are hoping for a more straightforward solution. They are motivated to provide potable water in arid regions and are seeking help from technical individuals or foundations. Asking for formulas in an internet forum may not be the most effective way to pursue this project.
Greenybwa
Hi,

Does anyone know of a way I can model the output of a solar still with a specific tilt angle and location (Africa) to give me my desired output value? I've been looking at lots of research papers but the maths is far too confusing for me to even begin to try work it out and I'm hoping there is a simple way that I can plug in numbers to an equation and get a semi accurate answer.

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Your previous thread about this topic/question for reference:

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/glass-how-to-increase-the-surface-area.958616/#post-6078623

It sounds like you have good motivations, to try to provide more potable water in arid regions that are disadvantaged. But without some basic math skills, it may be hard for you to optimize a design. Have you tried looking for like-minded technical folks who could help you out? There have to be both individuals and foundations with the technical skills to help you make your project a reality. Asking for "formulas" in an Internet discussion forum is probably not the right way for you to pursue this project, IMO.

1. What is a Solar Still output model?

A Solar Still output model is a mathematical representation of the amount of clean, fresh water that can be produced by a solar still device. It takes into account factors such as sunlight intensity, air temperature, humidity, and the design of the still itself.

2. How accurate is the Solar Still output model?

The accuracy of the Solar Still output model depends on the accuracy of the input data and the complexity of the model. Generally, it can provide a reasonable estimate of the amount of water that can be produced, but actual output may vary due to external factors such as changes in weather conditions or the quality of the still's construction.

3. Can the Solar Still output model be applied to different types of stills?

Yes, the Solar Still output model can be applied to different types of stills as long as the input data is adjusted accordingly. For example, a still with a larger surface area may produce more water than a smaller still, so the model would need to be adjusted to reflect this difference.

4. What are the limitations of the Solar Still output model?

The Solar Still output model is based on certain assumptions and may not accurately predict output if those assumptions are not met. It also does not take into account external factors such as wind or dust, which may affect the still's performance.

5. How can the Solar Still output model be used in practical applications?

The Solar Still output model can be used to estimate the amount of water that can be produced by a still in a given location and under specific weather conditions. This information can be useful for planning and designing stills for water-scarce areas or for emergency situations. It can also help in comparing the performance of different still designs and optimizing their efficiency.