Solar System Similar to Ours Found

  • #1
quantumcarl
770
0
http://www.msnbc.com/news/934038.asp

Its similar in that the "Jupiter-like" planet they've viewed in this case is caught in a circular orbit. Most of the planets found in other star systems are in the oval shaped orbit. The oval orbit of large planets tends to wack the smaller ones out of the system.

In this case there is a chance that an "earth-like" planet has remained in the system due to the circular orbit of the "Jupiter-like" planet. Check it out! Thanks.
 
Last edited:

Answers and Replies

  • #2
marcus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
24,770
790
Originally posted by quantumcarl
http://www.msnbc.com/news/934038.asp

Its similar in that the "Jupiter-like" planet they've viewed in this case is caught in a circular orbit. Most of the planets found in other star systems are in the oval shaped orbit. The oval orbit of large planets tends to wack the smaller ones out of the system.

In this case there is a chance that an "earth-like" planet has remained in the system due to the circular orbit of the "Jupiter-like" planet. Check it out! Thanks.

glad to hear of HD70642
the eccentricity is estimated at 0.10 according to this extrasolar planets data site:

http://cfa-www.harvard.edu/planets/HD70642.html [Broken]

their figure for the period is 2231 days
for the semimajor axis: 3.3 AU
for the mass (if system seen edge on) 2 jupiters

the journal article announcing it (authors include both Marcy and Butler who are veterans) is:

http://cfa-www.harvard.edu/planets/papers/hd70642-carter.pdf [Broken]

at the end this article has nice plots of data, curves and
tables of the wobble speed.

the star is a metal rich G5, very similar to the sun in both mass and surface activity (they say)

the wobble speed amplitude is estimated at 32 meter/second

(the msn article you gave a link to may have a mistake, it said 7 m/s)

this is a real interesting system, 0.1 is still pretty eccentric by solar system standards I think. striking thing is the rarity of
only moderately eccentric jupiters at jupiter-like distances
solar system looks like as good as it ever gets compared with these others
 
Last edited by a moderator:
  • #3
The Grimmus
200
0
if the univers is infinite than it was bound to happen. Well not infinte but constanly exspanding
 
Last edited:
  • #4
Phobos
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
1,954
6
Thanks for the link to the article, quantumcarl.
Now let's get those next generation telescopes up and running so we can detect some terrestrial planets!

Originally posted by The Grimmus
if the univers is infinite than it was bound to happen. Well not infinte but constanly exspanding

Possibly infinite AND expanding, but let's not get into that in this topic. :wink:
 
  • #5
Eh
746
1
Hey Carl, where did you get that neat cube?

Also, did they mention how far away this system is?
 
  • #6
quantumcarl
770
0
Originally posted by Phobos
Thanks for the link to the article, quantumcarl.
Now let's get those next generation telescopes up and running so we can detect some terrestrial planets!



Possibly infinite AND expanding, but let's not get into that in this topic. :wink:

Yeah... or, we just keep an eye out for pirated TV signals of "I Love Lucy" and the "Tonight Show" emanating from one of these solar systems with a high metal pool sun. That wouldn't be to hard to miss!
 
  • #7
quantumcarl
770
0
Originally posted by Eh
Hey Carl, where did you get that neat cube?

Also, did they mention how far away this system is?

http://cfcp.uchicago.edu/lss/.. eh?
 
Last edited:

Suggested for: Solar System Similar to Ours Found

Replies
4
Views
178
  • Last Post
Replies
4
Views
399
  • Last Post
Replies
2
Views
834
Replies
0
Views
481
Replies
10
Views
530
Replies
3
Views
378
  • Last Post
4
Replies
122
Views
5K
Replies
15
Views
729
Top