Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

SOLDE with delta function

1. May 19, 2013 #1
    Hi there, my version of Mathematica may be too old and i'm not finding this one by hand so any help would be appreciated:
    ψ''(z)=[k2/4 –M2 –kδ(z)]ψ(z),
    where δ(z) is the Dirac delta, k and M constants.

i can solve the same equation without the M^2 term by exp(k|z|/2), but this one proves to be much more complicated.

Please note that this is part of a problem where solving the D.E. is actually not the issue: i'm supposed to use a software or anything that helps so i'm really just trying to get the answer.. thanks!!

2. jcsd
  3. May 19, 2013 #2
    Version 9.0.1 DSolve can't crack it.

Perhaps this will help

In[1]:= k = 1; m = 2;
    f = s[z] /. NDSolve[{s''[z] == (k^2/4 - m^2 - k DiracDelta[z]) s[z], s[0] == 0, s'[0] == 1/2}, s[z], {z, 0, 10}]

Out[2]= InterpolatingFunction[{{0., 10.}}, <>][z]}

In[3]:= Plot[f, {z, 0, 10}]

Out[3]= ...PlotSnipped...

4. May 19, 2013 #3
    Thank you Bill, i'm going to look into this "interpolating function"...
    Actually, exp[–k|z|/2]cos(Mz) almost works but i pick up an extra term in the D.E.; maybe an infinite series would do the job, i just can't find it so far...

5. May 19, 2013 #4
    you dont need Mathematica or anything, just solve the simple second order DE for z<0 and z>0 (the delta function term is zero here) and then match them at z=0. The function itself should be continuous and then there is a jump in the derivative at z=0 due to the delta function.

6. May 19, 2013 #5
    Thank you, you're right. It's good to remember what these functions really are sometimes!..
    I'm going to try that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook