Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Soldering/Testing Transistors

1. Jan 6, 2010 #1
    I was using that diode/transistor testing thingy on my multimeter to verify two transistors I accidentally cooked in a circuit. I used some de-soldering wick. To my surprise, both still seem to work, but the circuit does not. What else might go horribly wrong when soldering? And is that a reliable way to test them?

I tested one in circuit, but it passed (I think this is okay given the wiring at present).

Thanks again!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 6, 2010 #2
    That depends. There are many characteristics of a transistor that a multimeter won't check. But it's possible that other components in the circuit are damaged and that's why it's not working.

4. Jan 7, 2010 #3
    While the above is true, simple transistors removed from a circuit, should test go/nogo, if you know the type and insert them correctly. The possibility that supporting components are bad while the transistors themselves are OK, would be indication of a well designed circuit. I would check each circuit back to the power source.
    You don't discuss the type of circuit, which make it difficult to go further.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook