1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Soldier jumps out of a plane

1. Nov 13, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A soldier with a machine gun, falling from an airplane gets detached from his parachute. He is able to resist the downward acceleration if he shoots 40 bullets a second at the speed of 500 m/s. If the weight of a bullet is 49 gm, what is the weight of the man with the gun ? Ignore resistance due to air and assume the acceleration due to gravity g = 9.8 m/s2
    2. Relevant equations
    acceleration in place of velocity?

3. The attempt at a solution
    m_s* v = m_b*v

But how do i get this velocity

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2015 #2
    You could try to recall the relationship between force and momentum, that would explain how the soldier stays in the air.

4. Nov 13, 2015 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

He fires one bullet; what is the effect on his velocity? If he does that 40 times a second, what acceleration would that produce?

5. Nov 13, 2015 #4
    I think i have it

Attached Files:

6. Nov 13, 2015 #5

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yellow text on a white background is going to burn someone's eyes out. :rolleyes:

7. Nov 14, 2015 #6
    How did you get 49 in your solution since 49 gm / bullet = .049 kg / bullet?

8. Nov 15, 2015 #7
    I multiplied it by 1/1000

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted