1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solenoid engine

1. Nov 14, 2009 #1
    I once saw an engine study that uses solenoids in compensating engagements much like the internal combustion engine. It was a small contraption but it worked. It used 12v dc current. I am just wondering if the engine can produce enough electricity to recharge the battery it uses if an alternator or some kind of electric generator is attached to it.

can this configuration be used to make an automobile engine? There were patents for such but I never saw one produced.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 14, 2009 #2

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

While operating the coils of your solenoids and generator will produce heat due to their resistive component, This heat represents unrecoverable energy loss to the system. Therefore your battery will steadly discharge. Therefore your device can do no work other then charge the battery.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook