1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solenoid Inductors problem

1. Jun 13, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

An 85 mH solenoid inductor is wound on a form 0.80 m in length and 0.10 m in diameter. A coil is tightly wound around the solenoid at its center. The coil resistance is 8.1 ohms. The mutual inductance of the coil and solenoid is 27 µH. At a given instant, the current in the solenoid is 540 mA, and is decreasing at the rate of 2.5 A/s. At the given instant, the induced emf in the solenoid is closest to:
    A) 170 mV
    B) 150 mV
    C) 210 mV
    D) 230 mV
    E) 190 mV

2. Relevant equations

emf =-N (ΔΦ/Δt)

3. The attempt at a solution

i've tried to think of other equations to use such as ωBA sin θ where it would be 90 degrees because that's the peak. but that doesn't work.
    so i though i might be able to use the above equation but it seems like i am missing too many variables.
    i know the equation for self inductance is ( -L * ΔI/Δt )
    but it is in the given instant and not over a range of time..
    any small guidance would be much appreciated; i'm not sure where to go from here.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 13, 2014 #2
    would i just go about it by perhaps multiplying the 85 mH of the sole by the rate of decrease which is 2.5 A/s?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted