Build a "Piano" with Solenoids: Material Selection & Diagrams

In summary, the person is thinking about making a sort of "piano" using solenoids and believes that if it is a desktop model it would only have eight keys. They are inspired by the Solenoid Concert video on metacafe and want to make a more physical interface with "keys" instead of an audio sequencer.
Minte
I was thinking that it's possible to make a sort of "piano" using solenoids. If you had a spring to reset it, and the "keys" of the "piano" activated simple contact switches, it could be done, right? It wouldn't be a terrible strain on the batteries if the contact were as short as pressing down a key...

The "bar" in the center of the tube could ring a pitchfork, a tuning fork, a bell, or maybe just a piece of metal that produces the proper tone when struck.

One day, I'm going to think about building a small one, desktop-model-style. What type of wire should I use? I've heard that 20-gauge insulated copper wire works well for solenoids. I don't know where I could find any small tubes or bars, though. I have a few diagrams, but the scanner is being mean. >.>

Physics news on Phys.org
If it's going to hit something in the end, why not just make it completely mechanical? Well, actually, I'm stoopid, it has to be mechanical in the end, since it's sound. :rolleyes:

I suppose the main "limitation" of the piano is there is no control of the sound after the key is struck. Maybe it'd be nice to improve on that? I'm a bit doubtful if it's really a limitation, since I don't know if the pedal ("the soul of piano") would be so intuitive and effective to use if piano sound didn't die away automatically.

Theremins use solenoids and they produce a really otherwordly sound, but the interface is not a keyboard, closer to a violin I suppose.
http://home.att.net/~theremin1/RCA/rca_theremin.html
http://www.thereminworld.com/article.asp?id=18

Yamaha seems to have solenoids in its disklavier which produce mechanical force on the keys during playback. During recording, the motion of the keys is sense optically.
http://www.yamaha.co.jp/english/product/piano/product/europe/dl/features/features.html

Last edited by a moderator:
I think they call what you are describing an electronic piano, which is already made. Why would you want to do what fingers already do easily and better? Piano players vary how hard they hit the key to change how loud the note is, how are you going to do that with the precision of the finger? If you want this piano to be human controlled it doesn't ssound like a good idea. If you want it to be self-controlled like a player piano it could work but again why?

I'm not thinking of an entire piano, with pedals and everything. More like an afternoon project than a full invention. :) I only used the word "piano" because that's kind of what it would look like, just with no black keys. The one I was planning on making, the desktop-model, would have eight keys (one octave) at most.

There wouldn't be much subtlety in the notes, since it would be hard to control that with just the contact-switch-keys.

I was inspired by the Solenoid Concert video on metacafe.
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/yt-g_hiz-Kx0kM/solenoid_concert/

Just with more of a physical interface, with "keys" instead of an audio sequencer.

As for why: Because I feel like it. XD I don't know, I've been starved of projects lately.

1. What is the purpose of using solenoids in building a piano?

Solenoids are used in building a piano as they act as electromagnets, which can be controlled by an electric current to produce sound. This allows for a more precise and controlled way of playing the piano, compared to traditional methods.

2. What materials are typically used in building a piano with solenoids?

The materials used in building a piano with solenoids may vary, but some common choices include wood for the frame, metal for the keys and solenoids, and electronic components such as wires and connectors for the electrical circuit.

3. How do you select the appropriate solenoids for a piano build?

When selecting solenoids for a piano build, factors such as the required force and stroke length must be considered. The solenoids should also be compatible with the power source and control system being used.

4. Can a piano built with solenoids produce the same sound quality as a traditional piano?

The sound quality of a piano built with solenoids can be comparable to a traditional piano, but it may also depend on other factors such as the materials used and the skill of the builder. With proper tuning and adjustments, a solenoid piano can produce high-quality sound.

5. Are there any diagrams or plans available for building a piano with solenoids?

Yes, there are several diagrams and plans available online for building a piano with solenoids. These can provide a helpful guide for understanding the design and construction process. However, it is important to note that each piano build may vary depending on individual preferences and resources.