Design 1.5 A Solenoid & Charge 1.5 V Battery

In summary, the conversation is about designing a solenoid to generate 1.5 A of current to charge a 1.5 V battery. The current solenoid is 10CM in length with an unknown number of turns, and is producing 50 V PK-PK of AC voltage. The goal is to make a smaller and more efficient solenoid, but no theoretical calculations have been performed. The person is seeking guidance on how to determine the necessary number of turns and length to achieve 1.5 A of current. They mention using a magnet to create the power and converting the AC voltage to DC. The conversation ends with a request for assistance on calculating the necessary parameters for the solenoid.
p0uya
Hey All,
I'm trying to design a solenoid that would generate about minimum 1.6 A of current in order for me to charge up a 1.5 A 1.5 V battery. I already designed one which is about 10CM in length and unknown number of turns (as I used a drill to wind the coils around it. so I would guess its about 2-3 thousands turns).
I'm getting about 50 V PK-PK AC . However, I was hoping to make my solenoid smaller and more efficient. I did not perform any theoretical calculation on my first trial (mainly experimental)

I was hoping if someone could guide me in the right direction on how I could be able to achieve this much of current.
Is there a way to know how many turns/lengths I need based on only the current that I would like to have? B=Mni/l
If so, then how would I be able to guess the magnetic flux in the above equation?

Thank you all for taking the time reading my post.

Looking forward to your suggestions.Cheers.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I can't make sense of your description. Perhaps you could better state what you are trying to do, and also draw a picture.

I need to design a solenoid which I could get about 1.5 A of current. I need to determine the number of turns and lengths of the solenoid. I hope That describes it better,
anorlunda said:
I can't make sense of your description. Perhaps you could better state what you are trying to do, and also draw a picture.

Are you trying to make a home made transformer + rectifier, so that you can charge a rechargeable battery from the mains electricity supply?

rootone said:
Are you trying to make a home made transformer + rectifier, so that you can charge a rechargeable battery from the mains electricity supply?
Im trying to charge a double A battery using a solenoid and magnet.

OK, got it now.
You are making a home made dynamo of sorts.
Your magnet is presumably arranged so that it's constantly moving in relation to the coil. (or the other way around).
Usually this is done by having one element or the other spinning.
One consideration is that the faster the spin the more higher frequency will be the ac output from the device.
You will need a rectifier component of course to convert your generated AC to DC so that the battery is charged.
I think but am not 100% certain, that the higher frequency AC (faster spinning) of the generator should result in a higher DC power output from the rectifier.
I'll leave the precise math to somebody else.

rootone said:
OK, got it now.
You are making a home made dynamo of sorts.
Your magnet is presumably arranged so that it's constantly moving in relation to the coil. (or the other way around).
Usually this is done by having one element or the other spinning.
One consideration is that the faster the spin the more higher frequency will be the ac output from the device.
You will need a rectifier component of course to convert your generated AC to DC so that the battery is charged.
I think but am not 100% certain, that the higher frequency AC (faster spinning) of the generator should result in a higher DC power output from the rectifier.
I'll leave the precise math to somebody else.
Thank you for your reply. The power is generated as the magnets moved horizontally in the solenoid as the person shakes the solenoid. This produces the AC voltage and then gets rectified to DC . My question was that how would I be able to exactly know how much turns or lengths do i require to produce 1.5 A of current.

1. What is a solenoid and how does it work?

A solenoid is a coil of wire that produces a magnetic field when an electric current is passed through it. This magnetic field can be used to move objects, such as a metal rod, by attracting or repelling it.

2. How do you design a solenoid with a specific strength?

The strength of a solenoid's magnetic field depends on factors such as the number of turns in the coil, the current passing through it, and the material of the core. By adjusting these factors, you can design a solenoid with a specific strength.

3. What is the purpose of a 1.5 V battery in a solenoid design?

A 1.5 V battery is used to provide the electric current needed to create a magnetic field in the solenoid. It acts as the power source for the solenoid.

4. How does the strength of the solenoid's magnetic field affect the battery's charge?

The strength of the magnetic field in a solenoid is directly proportional to the amount of electric current passing through it. Therefore, a stronger magnetic field will require more current, draining the battery's charge at a faster rate.

5. Can a solenoid and 1.5 V battery be used for other purposes besides moving objects?

Yes, a solenoid and 1.5 V battery can be used in a variety of applications, such as in electronic circuits, electromagnets, and even in medical devices. The strength and controllability of the magnetic field in a solenoid make it a versatile tool in many fields of science and technology.