How can I increase the pull-push force of my solenoid with specific parameters?

In summary: You can plug in the distance from the plunger end to the back iron plate into the formula for the magnetic field. The magnetic field is concentrated between the back iron plate and the internal end of the bolt (plunger). For example, it may be 4mm between them instead of your 40 mm - and then, the field is 10 times greater and the force is 100 times stronger.
Davx1992
Hello, I have some problems with my solenoid calculations. I have spent many hours, on searching for Formulas, and answers, but exact answer I cannot find. I made 2 electromagnets, and then tried with solenoids.
Last solenoid was made with 120 m long wire, 0,3 mm, center diameter was 12 mm and 4 cm long. I achieved 0,5 A on 12V. But solenoid pull force was weak.
So here is my question: My goal is to make solenoid which can push iron bolt (center) with neodymium magnet with push force similar with when put two permament magnets with same poles.
I planned max 1A and 12 V. How can I make solenoid with max force with such parameters, and what kind of wire I need- 0.3, 0.5, 0.6, 0.7, how long, Is it even possible, to gain such solenoid force, with such parameters.
Thanks.
And here is an image to show my idea.
009b85c.png

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hello Dave, :welcome:

Did you also try out your solenoid with the bolt inside?

Yeap, I made electromagnets with bolt inside. It was weak. I think problem is with wire, its too tight problably. And when I made my coil current was 0,5 A.
Now I think that i have to make solenoid with 0.5 or 0.6 mm wire, with 1A current, but I don't know how to calculate force, what I can reach and will it be enough for my project.

The ordinary pull force, for an iron bolt, can be estimated easily. The product of the current and the number of turns divided by the coil length gives the estimation of the magnetic field H inside the coil. The magnetic constant (1.26 microhenry/m) divided by 2 and multiplyed by the square of H gives the magnetic energy density inside the coil. Finally, the product of that energy density and the bolt cross section area gives the estimation of the magnetic pulling force (provided the end of the bolt is inside the coil).

As for pushing a permanent magnet, it's way more complicated, and the force must be much weaker...

Last edited:
Thanks for answer,
My calculations: 1000 turns Current: 1A , length 0,04m
H=25000
Then : (0.00000126/2) * 25000^2 = 393,75

Then: 393,75* 0.00005527000m² = 0,021 ??
Is it correct, and is it kg or lb?? What I calculated?

It's 0.021 Newton

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newton_(unit)

Your energy density is 393.75 joule/cubic_meter ; when you multiply it by 0.000055 square_meter , it gives 0.021 joule/meter - and joule/meter is exactly Newton, the SI unit for force.

0.021 Newton is the force you need to lift a 2.14 gram weight - not very much...

To increase the force, one should use additional iron things in order to concentrate the magnetic energy near the bolt end, like here:
s-l225.jpg
197-004-512E13B5.jpg

- the field H (not B ! ) is concentrated between the back iron plate and the internal end of the bolt (plunger). For example, it may be 4mm between them instead of your 40 mm - and then, the field is 10 times greater and the force is 100 times stronger.

Last edited:
Likes Davx1992 and BvU
AlexCaledin said:
It's 0.021 Newton

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newton_(unit)

Your energy density is 393.75 joule/cubic_meter ; when you multiply it by 0.000055 square_meter , it gives 0.021 joule/meter - and joule/meter is exactly Newton, the SI unit for force.

0.021 Newton is the force you need to lift a 2.14 gram weight - not very much...

To increase the force, one should use additional iron things in order to concentrate the magnetic energy near the bolt end, like here:
View attachment 186520 View attachment 186521
- the field H (not B ! ) is concentrated between the back iron plate and the internal end of the bolt (plunger). For example, it may be 4mm between them instead of your 40 mm - and then, the field is 10 times greater and the force is 100 times stronger.
I'm building a coil to test a solenoid and your comments helped a lot. Would you mind plugging this last comment about the distance from the plunger end to the back iron plate into the formula you mentioned earlier? E.g: the solenoid is still 4cm long, but the bolt is almost reaching the end of it (just 4mm to reach it) how to use this info in the formula? Thanks in advance.

What is a solenoid pull-push force?

A solenoid pull-push force is the force exerted by a solenoid on an object when the solenoid is energized and its magnetic field interacts with the object's magnetic field.

How is solenoid pull-push force measured?

Solenoid pull-push force is typically measured in units of newtons (N) using a force gauge or load cell. It can also be calculated using the equation F = BIL, where B is the magnetic field strength, I is the current, and L is the length of the solenoid.

What factors affect the strength of solenoid pull-push force?

The strength of solenoid pull-push force is affected by several factors including the number of turns in the solenoid, the current flowing through the solenoid, and the material and shape of the object being pulled or pushed.

What are some applications of solenoid pull-push force?

Solenoid pull-push force has many practical applications, such as in electromechanical relays, door locks, and automatic door openers. It is also used in industrial processes for tasks such as sorting and moving objects.

How can solenoid pull-push force be controlled?

Solenoid pull-push force can be controlled by adjusting the current flowing through the solenoid, using a variable power supply or a variable resistor. The strength of the magnetic field can also be controlled by varying the number of turns in the solenoid or using different types of materials.