Solve Solenoid Resistance/Magnetic Field/Length

• Thread starter Chocobo7
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Solenoid
In summary, to construct a solenoid with a resistance of 9.29 ohm and a magnetic field of 0.0642 T at its center, using 1.26 cm radius copper wire with a diameter of 0.895 mm, we need approximately 175.879 turns of wire. The length of the solenoid would be approximately 34379.8 cm. However, it appears that these calculations may be incorrect.
Chocobo7
It is desired to construct a solenoid that has a resistance of 9.29 ohm and produces a magnetic field at its center of 0.0642 T when it carries a current of 7.32 A. The solenoid is to be constructed from copper wire having a diameter 0.895 mm.
The resistivity of the copper is 1.7x10-8 ohm-m.
Find the # of turns of wire needed if the radius of the solenoid is to be 1.26 cm. Answer in units of turns.
Find the length of the solenoid. Answer in units of cm.

This is what I did:
B=N x muI/2R
.0642=N x (4pi x 10-7)(7.32)/(2*.0126)
N=175.879 turns
...But this is wrong. Can you please help me out & let me know what I did wrong?

Find the length of the solenoid. Answer in units of cm.
I used:
R=pl/A
9.29=1.7x10-8(l)/(.000895/2)^2 *pi
l=34379.8 cm
...I think this one is wrong too. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
nevermind. thanks anyway

I would like to clarify that the formula B=N x muI/2R is used for calculating the magnetic field strength at the center of a solenoid, not for finding the number of turns of wire needed. To find the number of turns of wire needed, we can use the formula N = (R x A)/(rho x L), where R is the desired resistance, A is the cross-sectional area of the wire, rho is the resistivity of the wire, and L is the length of the wire.

Using this formula, we can calculate the number of turns as N = (9.29 x (pi x (0.000895/2)^2))/(1.7x10^-8 x 0.0126) = 174.9 turns. This is close to the value you calculated, but the difference may be due to rounding off.

To find the length of the solenoid, we can use the formula L = (R x A)/(rho x N^2), where R is the desired resistance, A is the cross-sectional area of the wire, rho is the resistivity of the wire, and N is the number of turns.

Using this formula, we can calculate the length as L = (9.29 x (pi x (0.000895/2)^2))/(1.7x10^-8 x 174.9^2) = 0.0408 cm. This is significantly different from your calculation, which may be due to using the wrong formula or incorrect conversion of units.

In summary, to construct a solenoid with a resistance of 9.29 ohm and a magnetic field of 0.0642 T at its center, using copper wire with a diameter of 0.895 mm, we would need approximately 175 turns of wire and the length of the solenoid would be 0.0408 cm. I hope this helps clarify the calculations for you.

1. What is the relationship between solenoid resistance and magnetic field strength?

The resistance of a solenoid is directly proportional to the strength of the magnetic field it produces. This means that as the resistance of the solenoid increases, so does the strength of the magnetic field.

2. How does the length of a solenoid affect its resistance and magnetic field?

The length of a solenoid has an inverse relationship with both its resistance and magnetic field strength. This means that as the length of the solenoid increases, its resistance and magnetic field strength decrease.

3. What factors affect the resistance of a solenoid?

The resistance of a solenoid is affected by the material it is made of, the cross-sectional area of the wire, and the length of the solenoid. Additionally, the temperature, current, and number of turns in the solenoid can also affect its resistance.

4. How can I calculate the resistance of a solenoid?

The resistance of a solenoid can be calculated using the formula R = (μ0 * N^2 * A) / l, where μ0 is the permeability of free space, N is the number of turns, A is the cross-sectional area, and l is the length of the solenoid.

5. How can I increase the magnetic field strength of a solenoid?

The magnetic field strength of a solenoid can be increased by decreasing its resistance, increasing the number of turns, and increasing the current flowing through the solenoid. Additionally, using a core material with high permeability can also increase the magnetic field strength.