1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solenoid question

1. Jan 3, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the field and direction inside a pair of coaxial coils. The inner coil carries 3.0A, has 500 loops and is 10cm long. The outer coil carries 10A, has 5000 loops and is 10cm long. Find the field at the center

Thats the questions, now I don't have trouble working out the numbers (At least I hope I don't). But what I'm wondering is, in the questions, the currents are going in opposite directions, one CW, one CCW. So does that mean that at the end I just subtract them?? or does that not work??

I got, the 3.0A coil creates 0.0188T. And the 10A coil creates 0.628T. So thats ~=0.61T. I hope thats right. lol
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 3, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, if the currents are in opposite directions, then you subtract them. It looks ok to me.
  4. Jan 3, 2008 #3
    hey thanks a bunch.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?