1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solenoid Question

1. Apr 11, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A solenoid is designed to produce a magnetic field of 2.2 * 10^-2 t its center. It has a radius of 1.6 cm and a length of 44 cm, and the wire can carry a max current of 13 A.

The first question was what minimum number of turns per unit length must the solenoid have?

I found that to be 1350 m^-1

But the second question was what total length of wire is required?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I thought since I knew turns per unit length, current, and the magentic field that I could simply solve in reverse for this, but that's apparently not the case.

I figured that they were giving me the dimensions for something, but I'm not sure what equation to plug that into.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 11, 2010 #2

Homework Helper

Radius of the solenoid is given. The length of one tern of the wire is the circumference of the solenoid. You have calculated the number of the terns per meter. From that find the length of the wire required to construct the solenoid of the given length
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook