Can you help troubleshoot my solenoid issues?

• Thread starter jmust09
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Solenoid
In summary, the conversation discusses the challenges and issues faced while working on a solenoid for various applications. The solenoid consists of a bobbin housing a split shaft with a spring at its center. When activated, the spring depresses and the two pieces of the shaft come together to activate a switch. The desired force to activate the spring is 3 pounds, but for robust purposes, 4 pounds is being used. The goal is to achieve a current between 0 and 1 Amps. However, there are concerns regarding the interference of nickel plating with the magnetic field, incorrect permeability constants, and wrong equations due to incorrect area and diameter ratios. The individual has done extensive research on the topic, but there is
jmust09
I have been working on a solenoid for different applications, but cannot find the desired output. I have a bobbin or hollow shell that houses a shaft that is split in half. At the center of this shaft is a spring, and when the solenoid is activated the spring is depressed, the two pieces of the shaft inside the bobbin come together activating a switch. Force required to activate the spring is 3 pounds, but for robust purposes, I have been using 4 lbs. I want a current between 0 and 1 Amps. The length of the bobbin is 0.12083 in. The bobbin is steel with nickel plating (this is the main suspect for the magnetic issues). I am using 30 gauge copper wire. The diameter of the solenoid is 0.375 inches.

So I have a few different concerns.

1. The nickel plating is interfering with the magnetic field.

2. I am using the wrong permeability constants for my equations.

3. The equations I am using are wrong due to the incorrect area and diameter ratios.

I have done a significant amount of research on this topic but there is just not that many in depth examples found on the internet. Many are simply theoretical, and don't apply to my applications.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi jmust09. http://imageshack.com/a/img96/5725/red5e5etimes5e5e45e5e25.gif

Can you attach a jpeg of your setup?

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a solenoid?

A solenoid is an electromagnetic device that converts electrical energy into linear motion. It consists of a coil of wire wrapped around a metal core, which creates a magnetic field when electricity flows through it.

2. What are some common signs of solenoid trouble?

Some common signs of solenoid trouble include a clicking or grinding noise when starting the vehicle, difficulty starting the engine, and the vehicle stalling or not starting at all.

3. How do I troubleshoot a solenoid issue?

First, check the battery and electrical connections to ensure they are clean and tight. Then, use a multimeter to test the solenoid for continuity and proper voltage. If the solenoid is faulty, it will need to be replaced.

4. Can a solenoid be repaired or does it need to be replaced?

In most cases, a faulty solenoid will need to be replaced. Attempting to repair it may not be effective or may cause further damage. However, if the issue is due to a loose wire or connection, it may be able to be repaired.

5. How can I prevent solenoid trouble in the future?

To prevent solenoid trouble in the future, make sure to regularly check and maintain your vehicle's electrical system. This includes keeping the battery and connections clean, and addressing any issues with the starter or alternator promptly.