1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solid angle

1. Oct 8, 2005 #1
    So what i know that a solid angle is to sphere as the curve is to a circle...

curve= rΘ, and (differential solid angle) dΩ=2ΠsinΘdΘ

I need to prove it, and i'm a bit rusty and i donno where to start, i wonder if there's any usefull links or tips...

Any more info about the use of a solid angle??

Thx..

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 8, 2005 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

4. Oct 9, 2005 #3
    Astronuc what would my life be without u?? :D

Thx...

5. Oct 11, 2005 #4
    Well, i was thinking that doesn't the equation i wrote in the 1st post seem close to the parameter of a circle???And if that circle small, that its parameter would be almost equal to its area???

6. Oct 11, 2005 #5

Astronuc

Area of a circle in polar coordinates is just the integral of "r d[itex]\theta[/itex] dr", with r limits of 0,r, and [itex]\theta[/itex] from 0, 2[itex]\pi[/itex] so one should end up with [itex]\pi[/itex]r2.

Similarly in spherical coordinates the integrand is r2 sin [itex]\phi[/itex] d[itex]\phi[/itex] d[itex]\theta[/itex], and to find the area, one simply integrates over the two angle with r fixed, and the area should be 4[itex]\pi[/itex]r2

[itex]\phi[/itex] limits -[itex]\pi[/itex], [itex]\pi[/itex] and [itex]\theta[/itex] limits 0, 2[itex]\pi[/itex]

So in some sense, finding the circumference of a circle, is analogous to finding the area of a sphere.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2005
  7. Oct 11, 2005 #6
    I do understand that, maybe i wasn't clear enough...I just thought it was quite similar to the relation i wanted to get to...

8. Oct 11, 2005 #7

Astronuc

I just notice an error in one of the expression I posted.

A = r2 d[itex]\Omega[/itex] should read

dA = r2 d[itex]\Omega[/itex]

and

Asphere = 4[itex]\pi[/itex]r2

9. Oct 12, 2005 #8
    Alright that's what i proved, but after i proved it, i just thought something naive, so don't bother:wink:

Thx Astronuc..

Attached Files:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?