1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solid Compressability

1. Aug 7, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hello, I have a problem involving a copper block of mass .25kg. They have a given compressibility due to pressure change, and compressibility due to temperature change. They give the density for copper as well. They tell you that the pressure changes from P1 --> P2 isothermally.

It then asks what the amount of heat leaving the system is
    The work done on the copper block
    and the total change in internal energy

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

what I've done already is figured out the volume change due to the pressure change.

Using this volume change I can theoretically find the work done using -nRT*ln(Vf/Vi). The only problem is I don't have a value for the moles. I could find it if i had the molar mass of copper, but I don't, and this is a practice exam problem.

If i assume that because temperature change is 0, the change in internal energy is 0. Then heat will equal negative work. but i have a strong feeling this is wrong.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 7, 2010 #2
    In an isothermal process, the work done is simply the pressure times the change in volume, i.e.
    [tex]
    W = P\Delta V
    [/tex]
    Does that help?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook