• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Solid cylinder roll physics

• Thread starter gamer1319
  • Start date

Homework Statement

A solid cylinder of radius 20cm is released from a 2.5 high incline. If it rolls down without losing any energy to friction, find the cylinder's velocity at the bottom of the incline and the angular speed at the bottom of the incline.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I need to be given a mass to solve this! If I had a mass, I'd plug it into I = mr^2, find the inertia. With that, I'd plug it into E = mgh, and after i'd find W (angular velocity). Help!

Answers and Replies

Nabeshin
Science Advisor

Are you sure the masses don't cancel out? :)

SammyS
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member

Homework Statement

A solid cylinder of radius 20cm is released from a 2.5 high incline. If it rolls down without losing any energy to friction, find the cylinder's velocity at the bottom of the incline and the angular speed at the bottom of the incline.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I need to be given a mass to solve this! If I had a mass, I'd plug it into I = mr^2, find the inertia. With that, I'd plug it into E = mgh, and after i'd find W (angular velocity). Help!
The mass is m. You don't need to know the mass with this problem any more than you need to know the mass of an object to find its final speed after falling 2.5 meters, if it was released at rest.

Don't forget, the final Kinetic Energy, KE, includes a rotational part as well as a translational part, i.e. KE = (1/2)·I·ω2 + (1/2)·m·v2 .