Solving Solid Disk Rolling Up Incline: Find Height h

In summary, the conversation discusses how to determine the vertical distance a solid disk of mass m and radius R will roll up an incline without slipping, given its velocity v. The solution involves finding the height h when kinetic energy is converted to potential energy, using equations such as I=0.5mr2, E=0.5Iω2, KE=0.5mv2, and PE=mgh. The final answer is (1.25*v^2)/g = h, with the relationship between v and ω being the key to solving the problem.
NathanLeduc1

Homework Statement

A solid disk of mass m and radius R rolls without slipping with a velocity v. Assuming it doesn't slip, how far vertically will it roll up an incline?

Homework Equations

I=0.5mr2
E=0.5Iω2
KE=0.5mv2
PE=mgh

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm thinking that we need to find the height h when the kinetic energy is converted to potential energy. So:
0.5Iω2+mv2=mgh
0.5*0.5mr2ω2+mv2=mgh
0.25r2ω2+v2=gh
h=(0.25r2ω2+v2)/g
Is that right? I feel weird because I still have ω in there.

Physics news on Phys.org
NathanLeduc1 said:

Homework Statement

A solid disk of mass m and radius R rolls without slipping with a velocity v. Assuming it doesn't slip, how far vertically will it roll up an incline?

Homework Equations

I=0.5mr2
E=0.5Iω2
KE=0.5mv2
PE=mgh

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm thinking that we need to find the height h when the kinetic energy is converted to potential energy. So:
0.5Iω2+mv2=mgh
0.5*0.5mr2ω2+mv2=mgh
0.25r2ω2+v2=gh
h=(0.25r2ω2+v2)/g
Is that right? I feel weird because I still have ω in there.
What's the relationship between v and ω ?

Ah, either you're a genius or I'm dumb. Probably both. Thank you.

I got a final answer of (1.2*v^2)/g = h.

Oops, 1.25... ((5/4)(v^2))/g = h

NathanLeduc1 said:
Ah, either you're a genius or I'm dumb. Probably both. Thank you.
Probably neither.

I considered a lengthier reply to your Original Post, but then though I'd see what you could do with a fairly subtle hint/question. From that, you completed the exercise. I commend you for that.

You might be surprised at how many people need to be led by the nose, step-by-step to an answer.

I got a final answer of (1.2*v^2)/g = h.

1. How do you determine the height of a solid disk rolling up an incline?

To determine the height, h, of a solid disk rolling up an incline, you can use the following formula: h = (r/2) * (1 - cosθ), where r is the radius of the disk and θ is the angle of the incline.

2. Can this formula be used for any solid disk, regardless of its size or weight?

Yes, this formula can be used for any solid disk as long as the radius and angle of the incline are known. The formula takes into account the size and weight of the disk to calculate the correct height.

3. What if the solid disk is not perfectly round?

The formula can still be used as long as the radius of the disk is known. However, if the disk is not perfectly round, the calculated height may not be entirely accurate. In this case, it is best to measure the height directly using a ruler or measuring tape.

4. Is this formula only applicable for disks rolling up an incline?

No, this formula can also be used for other shapes rolling up an incline, such as cylinders, spheres, or cones. The only difference is the value of r, which would be the appropriate radius for the specific shape.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the height of a solid disk rolling up an incline?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect the height, such as friction and the initial velocity of the disk. These factors may need to be taken into account for more accurate calculations, but the formula mentioned above provides a good estimate for the height of the disk.