Exploring the Concept of Quantum Crystallization: Implications and Possibilities

• Thread starter armandowww
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Quantum
In summary, a quantum crystal can be thought of as a solid form of a Bose-Einstein condensate, such as solid helium. It exhibits quantum phase coherence macroscopically and is also known as supersolidity. However, the consequences are counter intuitive, with effects such as superfluidity and the ability to "pass through" other solids. Practical applications remain distant due to the low temperature and high pressure required for the solid to remain in its superflow state. Attempts to reduce friction or drag through a medium, such as using super-cavitation, may be more feasible.
armandowww
:cool: :smile: :cool: Can anybody tell me what is the meaning of a quantum crystall? I've heard it is referred to a lattice with vibrations over harmonic approximation. If so, what about the consequences?

Physics news on Phys.org
armandowww said:
:cool: :smile: :cool: Can anybody tell me what is the meaning of a quantum crystall? I've heard it is referred to a lattice with vibrations over harmonic approximation. If so, what about the consequences?

The meaning?
Generally, a 'quantum crystal' can be thought of as the very unusual state of a BEC in solid form, i.e., solid helium, for ex., characterized by quantum phase coherence macroscopically. I've heard it can be described otherwise.

The consequences are very counter intuitive ... a quantum solid is predicted to exhibit superfluidity, and apparently that is what happens. Some call it super solid; I refer to it as supersolidity. If it were possible to put a pure sample on a rotating turntable, the sample would not move :biggrin:
Is that what you had in mind?

Creator

Last edited:
Friction

Creator said:
The meaning?
Generally, a 'quantum crystal' can be thought of as the very unusual state of a BEC in solid form, i.e., solid helium, for ex., characterized by quantum phase coherence macroscopically. I've heard it can be described otherwise.

The consequences are very counter intuitive ... a quantum solid is predicted to exhibit superfluidity, and apparently that is what happens. Some call it super solid; I refer to it as supersolidity. If it were possible to put a pure sample on a rotating turntable, the sample would not move :biggrin:
Is that what you had in mind?

Creator
Is that because it has no friction? Also is solid gas possible, sorry but I'm not too skilled in this area?

Imop45 said:
Is that because it has no friction?

It is a purely quantum effect, and, yes, one result is that the quantum fluid (or in this case the quantum solid, say He-4) experiences no 'friction' with the 'container'. However, the implications are more far reaching.

Recent solid He-4 experiments apparently reveal that this quantum effect allows solid He-4 to "pass through" another solid while both are in solid phase.
Isn't QM interesting. :wink:

Creator :biggrin:

Could we use the He-4 as an Atmospheric Envelope leaking through the pores of a Space Craft/Air Craft Skin to allow the vehicles to experience Zero Friction, If the He-4 oozes from the Skin pores wouldn't it allow for this? Frictionless Flight.

Intuitive said:
Could we use the He-4 as an Atmospheric Envelope leaking through the pores of a Space Craft/Air Craft Skin to allow the vehicles to experience Zero Friction, If the He-4 oozes from the Skin pores wouldn't it allow for this? Frictionless Flight.
No it wouldn't.

I would strongly recommend anyone that wishes to talk about supersolidity, please, first read the paper by Kim and Chan...please.

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v427/n6971/abs/nature02220.html

Intuitive said:

Nice idea, Intuitive; but as is commonly the case with cryogenic quantum effects, the practical applications remain distant.
In this case...
Solid He-4 melting point is around 0.2 *Kelvin, and requires high pressure to remain solid.

Nevertheless, at such low temp. and high pressure the solid 'superflow' effect remains real. However, it is not 100% as in the case of liquid helium superfluidity; rather only a small percentage of the solid becomes superflow below the melting point, (and if I'm not mistaken the % has a temp./pressure dependency).

Creator

Last edited:
Creator said:
Nice idea, Intuitive; but as is commonly the case with cryogenic quantum effects, the practical applications remain distant.
In this case...
Solid He-4 melting point is around 0.2 *Kelvin, and requires high pressure to remain solid.

Nevertheless, at such low temp. and high pressure the solid 'superflow' effect remains real. However, it is not 100% as in the case of liquid helium superfluidity; rather only a small percentage of the solid becomes superflow below the melting point, (and if I'm not mistaken the % has a temp./pressure dependency).

Creator

Very informative, Thanks.

Would you happen to know what the Atmospheric Pressure of Air is that is entering into an Air intake Ram at Mach 10?

From the link that Gokul43201 gave me to read inwhich I spent a couple of hours visiting links from that link as well and some others, it still looks like there is some engineering hope by using the vehicles own energy and areodynamics to give us what we need for the He-4 transition to take place couldn't it if we're dealing with high Mach numbers to play with?

Just trying to work out some Engineering details for more troubleshooting questions.

Something like this that uses micro Skin Riffles with Capularies exposed to high Mach Pressures.

Attachments

• H4.gif
    H4.gif
    5.2 KB · Views: 549
Last edited:
Intuitive said:
Very informative, Thanks.

...it still looks like there is some engineering hope by using the vehicles own energy and areodynamics to give us what we need for the He-4 transition to take place couldn't it if we're dealing with high Mach numbers to play with?

I still don't think so :uhh: for the same reasons I gave before. For example, how are you going to keep the temperature below 0.2*K while it is exposed to the atmosphere? I've seen engineers who appear to work miracles, but they still have to stay within the confines of physical law.:biggrin:

If you're looking for reduction in friction or drag through a medium you may want to try something akin to super-cavitation that has recently been used to increase torpedo underwater velocities to several hundred mph.
Microscopic bubbles are released along the laminar flow of the surface of the structure as it moves through the medium.

BTW; front surface pressure scales as the square of the velocity; (so, for ex., the force on a surface from a head on 200 mph wind is 4 times that of a 100 mph velocity.)

However, I don't want to high jack the OP's original intent.

More details of Moses Chan's He-4 work via torsional oscillations is found in Science, vol 305, p.1941, 2004.

Creator:biggrin:

Last edited:
So does this BOSE-Einstein condensation thing, mean that wood and all materials can be turned into let's say, liquid?

What is Quantum Crystal?

Quantum Crystal is a type of crystalline material that exhibits quantum properties, such as superposition and entanglement, at a macroscopic level.

How is Quantum Crystal different from traditional crystals?

Quantum Crystal differs from traditional crystals in that it is not bound by the laws of classical physics. It exhibits properties that are only observed at the quantum level, such as wave-particle duality and non-locality.

What are the potential applications of Quantum Crystal?

The potential applications of Quantum Crystal are vast and include quantum computing, quantum sensors, and quantum communication. It also has potential uses in advanced materials and energy storage.

Why is Quantum Crystal important in the field of science?

Quantum Crystal is important because it allows us to investigate and understand the behavior of matter at the quantum level, which has implications for various fields such as physics, chemistry, and materials science. It also has the potential to revolutionize technology and lead to advancements in many industries.

How is Quantum Crystal created?

Quantum Crystal is created through a process called self-assembly, where individual quantum particles are arranged in a specific pattern to form a larger crystal structure. This process requires precise control and manipulation at the nanoscale level.