Solid Hollow Shaft Torsion Resistance: How Will It Change?

In summary, the conversation is about the effect of melting a hollow shaft and creating a new solid shaft on its resistance to torsion. It is determined that the torsional resistance of the solid shaft will decrease compared to the hollow shaft, as it is proportional to the polar moment of inertia. However, there is some confusion about whether the cross sectional area or the polar moment of inertia should be considered. After further discussion, it is concluded that the polar moment of inertia is the key factor in determining the torsional resistance.
praveenpandiyan

Homework Statement

internal diameter of a hollow shaft is two third of its external diameter .if it is melted and new solid shaft is made.what would happen to the shaft resistance of torsion. in percentage?

Homework Equations

as i know T/j=G*angle of twist/length.
torsional resistance=G*teta(twist)

The Attempt at a Solution

i have no idea . any help would be appeciable .thanks[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
The first step is to determine the relative diameter of the solid shaft. It comprises the same volume of material as for the hollow shaft, so (assuming shafts of identical lengths), how to determine the dimensions of the solid shaft?

Perhaps start by saying: let the outer diameter of the hollow shaft be "D".

Last edited:
ok. i get that . so my area of solid shaft = .55*A(hollow ).. but resistance depends on polar moment of inertia right? .
j(solid)=pi/32(D)4 .if I am not wrong .. then does my shaft resistance decreasce?.

Yes, torsional resistance decreases.

The torsional resistance is proportional to the cross sectional area, not the polar moment of inertia.

Chet

sorry. J represent torsional constant. its the resistance to torsion. I am i correct ? ..or how can i use area here to calculate variation in resistance. bit confued :(

praveenpandiyan said:
sorry. J represent torsional constant. its the resistance to torsion. I am i correct ? ..or how can i use area here to calculate variation in resistance. bit confued :(
What does your textbook say?

well .torsion for solid shaft , i have torsion eqn T/J=G*tete/L=shear stess/R
but i found finally its torsional stiffness k=T/twist that provide solution. if not i need to do some ground work myself .thanks chester

praveenpandiyan said:
well .torsion for solid shaft , i have torsion eqn T/J=G*tete/L=shear stess/R
but i found finally its torsional stiffness k=T/twist that provide solution. if not i need to do some ground work myself .thanks chester
Don't thank me so soon. I was wrong about it. The shear strain in the shaft is rdθ/dz. If you use this to determine the shear stress, and then the torsional moment, you find that it's the polar moment of inertia that is the thing that comes into play (as you said), not the cross sectional area (as I had said). So your were right in the first place. Senior Moment. Sorry about that.

Chet

praveenpandiyan said:
ok. i get that . so my area of solid shaft = .55*A(hollow ).. but resistance depends on polar moment of inertia right? .
j(solid)=pi/32(D)4 .if I am not wrong .. then does my shaft resistance decreasce?.
It seems well covered here: http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/torsion-shafts-d_947.html

yeah thanks Nas.

1. How does the diameter of a solid hollow shaft affect its torsional resistance?

The diameter of a solid hollow shaft is directly proportional to its torsional resistance, meaning that a larger diameter will result in a higher resistance to torsion. This is because a larger diameter allows for a greater distribution of stress and can withstand higher levels of torque.

2. What are the benefits of using a solid hollow shaft for torsion resistance?

There are several benefits to using a solid hollow shaft for torsion resistance. These include a higher strength-to-weight ratio, increased stiffness, and better fatigue resistance. Additionally, solid hollow shafts are more cost-effective and easier to manufacture compared to other types of torsion-resistant shafts.

3. How does the material of a solid hollow shaft impact its torsional resistance?

The material of a solid hollow shaft plays a crucial role in its torsional resistance. Generally, materials with higher shear moduli, such as steel and titanium, provide better torsional resistance compared to materials with lower shear moduli, such as aluminum and plastic. Additionally, the material's microstructure and heat treatment can also affect the shaft's torsional resistance.

4. What factors can cause a solid hollow shaft to fail under torsional stress?

There are several factors that can cause a solid hollow shaft to fail under torsional stress. These include excessive torque, fatigue, and material defects. Additionally, improper design or manufacturing processes can also lead to failure. It is essential to carefully consider these factors when designing and selecting a solid hollow shaft for torsion resistance.

5. How can the design of a solid hollow shaft be optimized for maximum torsional resistance?

The design of a solid hollow shaft can be optimized for maximum torsional resistance by considering several factors. These include selecting the appropriate material and diameter, optimizing the shaft's geometry, and incorporating features such as keyways or splines to distribute stress more evenly. Finite element analysis can also be used to simulate different loading conditions and optimize the design accordingly.